Port Stephens humble whiting

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Well, I've finally afforded to fix my boat and what a great day Sunday was to take it for a test drive. 

I took the two young boys and decided to target some winter whiting (trumpeter) in the bay. Knowing they were easy to catch and the fact I had to move a few times to check the boat out, it was a stunning day on the water! 

IMG_0571.JPG

Anyway, we managed to bag what we wanted with a few surprise bycatch from my boys along the way! It was great to see the young fella getting stretched on light gear! 

IMG_0596.PNG

Cant wait for dinner tonight!

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Is it really the case that the local whiting are mostly sand whiting in summer and trumpeter whiting in winter ? Or is the summer whiting/winter whiting thing just names with no great meaning?

ive never targeted either so don't know much about them.

cheers

arron

25 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Is it really the case that the local whiting are mostly sand whiting in summer and trumpeter whiting in winter ? Or is the summer whiting/winter whiting thing just names with no great meaning?

ive never targeted either so don't know much about them.

cheers

arron

Trumpeter whiting are nicknamed winter whiting. They have no size limit and are in real numbers throughout the bay! Sans whiting are predominantly in the summer months and have a legal size limit of 27cm. 

All in all they taste the same!!!

Cheers scratchie!!! 

3 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Does that apply to Sydney as well - ie Lower Hawkesbury or Brisbane Waters? Are there winter whiting there? 

I assume so! The size limit applies to NSW. I know they find them in the hacking, not sure throughout Sydney though! 

Glad you got your boat back on the water, Jeff! I've been meaning to give you a shout if you wanted a ride but I've had no shortage of crew in my son and missus! Fished The Sisters yesterday but still can't find those big reds! ? Managed 2 pan sized, 5 flathead and 6 tailor. Still, a nice feed and the missus was absolutely stoked with the private show we got from breaching humpbacks. Looks like I'm allowed to keep the boat! ?

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

my mate fished sisters sat arvo for five small reds and a Samson..no current..no run no fun..lake Macquarie also has heaps of trumpeter whiting at moment..rick

Yeah, that was about it, Rick. No current to speak of. We did better on the flathead drift in 45m but still not much current.

On 01/08/2017 at 6:09 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

my mate fished sisters sat arvo for five small reds and a Samson..no current..no run no fun..lake Macquarie also has heaps of trumpeter whiting at moment..rick

Seas were quite calm last week. Different story this week though. It should stir things up a bit.