Mona Vale Pool - 6/8/17

drc2076

Ocean rocks at Mona Vale this morning in search of luderick. Not ideal conditions. A run out tide, stiff, chilly NW breeze and a swell with quite a bit more force than the forecast was predicting. But if I don't fish today I don't fish for another week, so today it was. The end result was an under sized drummer (28cm) and two rock kale. The second kale was the third fish of the day. By this time I'd copped a couple of dunkings from big waves (did I mention the swell was bigger than forecast?), was cold and frustrated. Bad news for the kale. All morning a lone pelican had been standing on the rocks behind me watching my progress. This time I unhooked the kale and tossed him straight into the open beak of the pelican. Birds gotta eat too.

I wasn't the only one having a frustrating morning. An Asian bloke nearby was fishing for groper. It was quite a sight to see him catch his red crabs to use as bait. Wouldn't fancy sticking my hands into blind rock pool nooks and crannies. My luck I'd meet a blue ringed octopus. Things were slow for me and I've never chased groper before so I went over to watch his progress for a while. Pretty heavy outfit as you'd expect. Running what looked like at least 60lb braid with a large ball sinker straight to the hook. No leader. I asked about the wisdom of using braid rather than mono in such snaggy terrain. His English wasn't great but I gathered he thought braid was up to the task. After a while I went back to resume fishing but when I glanced back towards him I saw his rod buckle like crazy. He'd hooked up to a good size groper! I watch him fight the fish and get it up over and onto the lower rock ledge. The fish was thrashing about on the lower ledge when the braid gave way and the groper (a brown) headed back to freedom. Hard to judge its size but suffice to say it was big enough to be filthy for having lost such a good fish. Ah well. Personally, if it was me I'd be stopping off at the nearest tackle shop on the way home and respooling with at least 60lb mono. He just caught a few more crabs and went back to it. As far as I could tell he was beaten by the falling tide and never got another touch.

Highlight of the day was unhooking one of my three to look up and see a large pod of dolphins cruising close by the ledge. Fantastic.

So no fish worth bragging about but a good morning all the same with a few entertaining moments. Packed it up around 11:30. Tight lines.

Edited by drc2076

31 minutes ago, chokpa said:

i was out this weekend too but in the harbour. does seem very quiet. had a similar experience to you..

wonder if at this time of year i shoud find a new hobby haha

good report!

Cheers Chokpa. Should be drummer and luderick around just not my day today.

Just shot a text over to my mate asking if he lost a big grouper at Mona Vale this morning. Sounds like a guy I fish with who frequents that spot at the pool there! He uses garden hose braid and a pretty heavy setup. Could have been him?

Tough luck on the blackies, I had a stab this morning around the harbour but with no success either.

26 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Just shot a text over to my mate asking if he lost a big grouper at Mona Vale this morning. Sounds like a guy I fish with who frequents that spot at the pool there! He uses garden hose braid and a pretty heavy setup. Could have been him?

Tough luck on the blackies, I had a stab this morning around the harbour but with no success either.

That'd be funny. He knew what he was doing. His crab catching skills were pretty impressive. Thought the braid straight to the hook was an interesting choice but to each their own.

Hi Guys;

You often see Groper feeding on the flat  rocks around the baths.

Surprisingly big  fish In very shallow water.

Fossicking in the crevices for crabs, urchins etc.

Mostly blue but I think that is mainly because of the colour.

As for blackfish there is a technique used by a lot of very old blokes (now sadly fishing in another place.)

It goes under the strange name of "Pussy Footing"'.

It involves fishing the wash and edges with no float , a light sinker and normal cabbage bait.

I was fortunate enough to be taught this technique when I was a young fella.

It is surprisingly productive  especially at Mona Vale , Long Reef and similar places with wide rock shelves.

If you would like further info fire me off a PM and I will give you the guts to it.

Cheers.

Roger.

34 minutes ago, Oldfella said:

Hi Guys;

You often see Groper feeding on the flat  rocks around the baths.

Surprisingly big  fish In very shallow water.

Fossicking in the crevices for crabs, urchins etc.

Mostly blue but I think that is mainly because of the colour.

As for blackfish there is a technique used by a lot of very old blokes (now sadly fishing in another place.)

It goes under the strange name of "Pussy Footing"'.

It involves fishing the wash and edges with no float , a light sinker and normal cabbage bait.

I was fortunate enough to be taught this technique wen I was a young fella.

It is surprisingly productive  especially at Mona Vale , Long Reef and similar places with wide rock shelves.

If you would like further info fire me off a PM and I will give you the guts to it.

Cheers.

Roger.

PM sent. Always keen to learn new techniques.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, Regan said:

pain about the wind, but at least you got out and caught a couple of fish

it would be anoying to be the guy that lost the groper

He seemed pretty cool about it. I'd have probably snapped a rod over my knee! Conditions were difficult but yes, I caught a few fish, fed a pelican and saw a pod of dolphins. Not the worst way to spend a Sunday morning.