Rod wrapper DIY

Aardvarking

I finally got around to fixing the guides on some of my dad's all rods, and was watching some videos on how to do so. I got all the equipment ready, took off the old guides and was about to put they new ones on, when I remembered I would need sometime to rotate the rod while the epoxy dried. I didn't really feel the need to go out and buy a fancy rod wrapping apparatus for one time use, so I decided to make my own. I was scouring through the house for supplies when I suddenly had a great idea. In year 6 I made a cardboard robot with a spinning sword for a school project, and it had a spinning motor to power the sword. I took out the motor, and found a way to secure it to my rod with blue tac. It was all going great until I turned it on... Unless I plan on making my rod break the surly bonds of Earth, it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

IMG_1223.mp4

Anyone got any tips on making sure the epoxy dries evenly without any fancy equipment? Clearly my first attempt wasn't so successful, but I'll be damned if I can't find a way to not spend the 20$ or so it would take to get this done by a professional.

Edited by Aardvarking

You can buy a battery operated rod roller set at decent tackle stores. Mine cost me about $20 but that was quite a few years ago.

There is a 240 colt one on eBay for about $90.

You could probably make a jig to go in a drill and set it on slow. You would need a couple of rollers to rest the rod on as well.

Edited by Berleyguts

cut two vees on either side of cardboard box and sit in front of tv for an hour drinkin beer with the heater on  that way your your epoxy wont go white in the cool air..keep spinning rod by hand...thin your epoxy out with a few drops of metho and give two or three thin coats for a better finish..rick

4 hours ago, Seasick said:

Use an old Microwave oven turntable motor. They spin slow

Luckily for me, there is an old discarded microwave which has been sitting near my house for a few weeks. I might see if I can remove the turntable motor from that and hope it works.

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

cut two vees on either side of cardboard box and sit in front of tv for an hour drinkin beer with the heater on  that way your your epoxy wont go white in the cool air..keep spinning rod by hand...thin your epoxy out with a few drops of metho and give two or three thin coats for a better finish..rick

Yep. That's how I used to do it as a teenager - minus the beer!

i have always used a battery powered spit roast motor to turn my rods while they dry, mounted it in a joist bracket, normally just make something up with tape and a pen to hold the end of the rod, always done the job for me. 

On 07/08/2017 at 8:02 AM, Seasick said:

Use an old Microwave oven turntable motor. They spin slow

This is exactly what my rod drying motor has been for the last 6 builds. Works perfectly!

Stick it in a jiffy box, add a piece of pvc end cap and some well positioned cuts to slot in some rubber bands to act as the holders and you are away! 

You can see in the photo where the shaft of the microwave motor come through the centre of the pvc cap. 

Untitled-1.jpg

In the end I just ended up spinning the rods by hand. I got two cardboard boxes and cut a triangle of both sides of each both. I then span each rod with one hand for about 45 minutes. It is not perfectly even, move due to user error than anything, but it is certainly good enough to do the job. If I really wanted to I'm sure I could sandpaper it down and have it perfect, but I am not patient enough, nor do I care enough about aesthetics.

Even though I ended up doing the rods by hand, I still did salvage the parts out of the microwave. The rotary motor was very easy to take out, it seemed like they are designed to be easily replaced. I also took out the transformer (extremely carefully) to use it for another project.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:04 PM, SquidMarks said:

This is exactly what my rod drying motor has been for the last 6 builds. Works perfectly!

How do you get the rotary motor to run outside of the microwave? The one I found runs on 21V AC power, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to run.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Yeah JD that's what I used when I built rods.

lot faster than hand turning a rod. Plus 2 hands to guide the cotton n slip the tie off loops in and hold guides on etc.

you can drill a hole in the center of a rod but cap and fix it to the wiper motor.

that way you just slip the rod into the cap,Set up your rollers and away you go.

the wiper motor needs to be fixed into a frame or on a flat board facing sideways.

rig up a foot switch (old Holden EH-HT) headlight high/low beam switch) as on/off switch

so your hands are free at all times

The wiper motors are usually 2 speed so you can rig a switch to go from low to higher speed. .

probebly even use a computer 12v power source to run it.

but I like a gel 12v battery (no acid or 240v to hurt anything).

Edited by Trailcraft43