Trouble casting

nutsaboutfishing

Without having seen your casting technique it is difficult to say if you are doing something wrong. Due to the very light weight of the lure and the fact it has to pull line along behind it (wind resistance) improvements won't be huge. What line rating are you fishing? For me the stiffness of the rod often has an effect on the casting technique. I like the Raiders as I can really punch the lures whereas with some other softer rods I have to use a long sweep.

As you live a suburb or so along from me (I'm in Lane Cove) it might be worth heading down to the water and seeing what is going on. I usually have to tweak the casting technique of people I introduce to soft plastics. It is not that they can't cast but there are little changes that can help here and there.

Edited by DerekD

I'd say your line rating would be the major reason for your lack of distance on the new combo.
Downsize the rating on the new one to around 3-5lb mainline (i'm assuming you're using around 6-10lb on the 2-4kg outfit).
Thinner diameter will make a big difference for you.

On 09/08/2017 at 0:29 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hi my previous rod was a 2-4 kg 6' 6". I purchased a 1-3kg 7' 6". I'm getting similar casting distance with both rods with 1/24 jigheads and same line. What am I doing wrong? Is the casting technique with a lighter rod different?

There are so many variables. Number of guides, size,spaceing and style of guides. 

Quality and style of blank. The reel you are using, 

As Derek said your casting style with a particular blank.

In some cases size definantly isn't everything.

as flickn said could be stripping guide is closer to reel or smaller creating more friction..knots travelling thru smaller guides...with small jigheads you shouldn't be overloading the blank...one blank may be a fast taper the other mid to slow taper..i use either a 1.8 solid tip rod or a 2.1 carbon rod for cod and have basically same distance with both throwing hardbody cod lures an spinnerbaits...I wouldn't be too concerned but you can always go heavier on your jighead to get more distance...rick