Avon Royal Reels to Come back?

Koalaboi

Went to  a shop

store the other day with a gift card to spend. Thought I might get an Alvey blackfish reel.

One of the staff told me they had none left but that Hardy's were planning to reissue the old Avon Royal reel. later this year.

Anyone else heard anything like this?

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

It is my understanding that Alvey are doing one last production run for another month and some suppliers have been able to put in orders. If there is an alvey that you want then maybe call the store and see if they are putting in another order. Some online suppliers are because i put in an order a couple of weeks ago. It is probably best done with a phone enquiry as some websites are not up to date as to what is in stock, out of stock, available to be ordered. Generally if the supplier has a relationship with Alvey the should be able to order it if you haven't missed the boat.

I don't know about other brands sorry.

The tooling was bought by a company called Vivtek which operated out of South Africa and sold similar reels which Shakespeare sold under license as Shakespeare Eagle, Shakespeare golden eagle etc. These are no longer sold, however there is a bit of new/old stock still around on ebay. The closest you can get to the Avon Royal is from a bloke in the Port Stephens area that makes a really nice copy, Tempo reels.

If you want the reel thing :) there are plenty of good Avon Royals and similar (Gypsy Dor, Golden eagle etc) around, don't pay more than around 150 bucks. 

The Alvey centrepin 475CP is made in China and there are similar reels available including from South Pacific Reels. The Alvey version has excellent QA however.

Macman