Any info on 80's Stessl Yellowfin

Sea Ranger

Hi All,

This boat is a 1987 Stessl Yellowfin with a 120 Evinrude same vintage on the back. I can't find much info on this boat when doing the google research except some comments on another board about stability issues.     Was this design tippy or prone to broaching?   I found one thread that suggested that it was.    

Bear

yellowfin.jpg

Jeff Webster ( trailerboat magazine ) wrote plenty of reports on the boat and I can't remember him saying too much wrong with them. Check to see if that is a recent photo if you are thinking of buying it, it looks in supurb condition.

Frank

Looks like it's had a recent refurb, but well looked after.  I've been in similar and as they are light feel a bit like a bobby cork but certainly capable and easy to maintain.  But I think the Carribean  in your other post would be a better sea boat.  Cheers......

Dave

Thanks for the replies raiders.   Yes this one has a fresh coat of paint.   The owner claims he's had her for 19  or 21 years only selling becuse of a new 7 meter boat parked in the driveway.  800 hours on the donk with full service history.

I like the Caribbean as well but concerned that for a 5.2 meter fg boat she is a bit underpowered with a 70hp new yamaha on the back. She's a trade in at a dealer.

Over the next couple of days the wife and I are looking at a few boats and I'm trying to research each one as much as possible.   Several are no brainers like a raider 166 which there is plenty written along with a Haines Hunter. Btw I  do have some of Jeff Websters used boat mags and using them as a guide.

I definetly want a stable platform and at least in my mind dont wish to venture much past the heads on good days. I have limited experience in a 475 Bayhunter Quinny that my dear friend who just past used to own.  Difference being he was 20 times the skipper I'll ever be.  Thank you for replying..

Bear

5.2 and 5.6 yellowfins had issues with nose fiving and broaching  the 6 and 7mtr wernt as bad  they had a very fine angle bow and if driven hard in following seas could bury the nose easy..for the fishing you have mentioned it would probably suit as you stated outside on nice days..rick

2 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Thanks for the replies raiders.   Yes this one has a fresh coat of paint.   The owner claims he's had her for 19  or 21 years only selling becuse of a new 7 meter boat parked in the driveway.  800 hours on the donk with full service history.

I like the Caribbean as well but concerned that for a 5.2 meter fg boat she is a bit underpowered with a 70hp new yamaha on the back. She's a trade in at a dealer.

Over the next couple of days the wife and I are looking at a few boats and I'm trying to research each one as much as possible.   Several are no brainers like a raider 166 which there is plenty written along with a Haines Hunter. Btw I  do have some of Jeff Websters used boat mags and using them as a guide.

I definetly want a stable platform and at least in my mind dont wish to venture much past the heads on good days. I have limited experience in a 475 Bayhunter Quinny that my dear friend who just past used to own.  Difference being he was 20 times the skipper I'll ever be.  Thank you for replying..

Bear

Can you have a chat to the dealer and see if they would do a engine swap with something else in the yard, my mate did that they swapped a 50hp of a alloy boat on to the Fiberglass boat he wanted and put the 40hp from the fiberglass onto the alloy. The engines were similar in age, which made the cost about the same.

It cost him a few $$ more but was cheaper and easier than selling the outboard and buying another 2nd hand one.

Just a question you could possible ask.

15 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Can you have a chat to the dealer and see if they would do a engine swap with something else in the yard, my mate did that they swapped a 50hp of a alloy boat on to the Fiberglass boat he wanted and put the 40hp from the fiberglass onto the alloy. The engines were similar in age, which made the cost about the same.

It cost him a few $$ more but was cheaper and easier than selling the outboard and buying another 2nd hand one.

Just a question you could possible ask.

Good Idea Jeff,, however after extensive negotiations with the minister of finance last night,  I don't believe in my long term survival if I were to pursue further funding.  I've drifted quite a bit from my initial planned budget of under 8K  so I might have to set my sights a bit lower.  It's a shame as I was really sorted taken by this Yellowfin.   

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish