Popped my Aussie fishing Cherry with a great Port Jackson shark estimated at 120cm. Kindly taken to Clifton Gardens by fellow Fishraider Pompom, many thanks to him. Caught on a slice of slimy caught earlier that day from Clifton Gardens. After a hard fight and quick photo it was safely and carefully returned.

IMG-20170819-WA0016.jpg

it took a 20lb fluorocarbon paternoster rig with a size 6 uk carp hook 

looking at the photo's I took it seemed to be nearer 140cm than 120cm but the wind was proper howling last night and being a female we wanted to get it back quickly , the jetty was alive with 12" + mackerel yesterday at high tide, seemed like the wind or something had pushed them right up against the shark nets there but we didn't see anything chasing them 

Edited by pompom

On 8/20/2017 at 6:21 AM, big Neil said:

Must have put up a good fight.

I've caught them before, albeit nowhere near that big, they've fought similar to sting rays. Just a very strong steady downward pull but they wear themselves out after not too long.

Edited by Smasher

PJs are normally in plague numbers in Botany bay at this time of year with plenty over a meter long.  I have caught up to 16 in one night while fishing for jewies.  The novelty can wear off pretty quickly I can assure you however it's better than sitting out in the cold all night with out a bight.

Yeah it must be breeding season or something this time of year. Big baits anywhere off the rocks or beach they are all over it between August to November . Usually swallow whole baits and hooks which is no good. 1 port think about packing up, 2 ports go home before you lose any more hooks! Beautiful creatures though the heterodontus. They can survive a long time out of the water.