Help with Sydney Harbour, Parramatta river..

PC747

Hi guys, my name is Peter very new to Fishraider. I live in Lane Cove and recently bought a 4.9m bowrider, i use to fish between North/ South heads but I am looking for some good fishing tips/ spots/ GPS location on where to go around Parramatta river or within Sydney harbour. (Hence I have a wife and a young child now so trying to stay inshore) I heard "the cake" is good, any comment?

Any tips or comment would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy fishing everyone?

Edited by PC747

Hey PC747

i also fish from a bowrider and usually 3 kids in tow (5,9 and 10) and have done so since the youngest was 3yr.

i like to fish around Clifton Gardens , Taronga zoo and for further down the river I fish Cockatoo Island and east of Gladesville bridge.

half the fun with the kids is touring around the bays and catching bream, if it's hot then we duck around to Balmoral for a swim.

the family prefers to go up to the Hawkesbury and pump some nippers and chase bream and flathead, but mostly to cruise around and find a beach to pull up at and have a picnic and a swim. There is also a coffee boat that does fresh coffee and ice creams which the wife loves.

Hi Jeffb5.8

thank you so much for your tips, that's fantastic... my daughter is about to turn 3 sounds like a good time to start training her?

One more question , do you normally keep your catch from "west of the harbour bridge" I was reading a report from food authority today saying fish from the harbour contains high level of dioxins.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/foodsafetyandyou/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood

(Look under Dietary advice section) 

i see a lot of fishermen keeping their catch just wondering if is ok to consume them or should I go towards the east of the harbour somewhere Call the "Cake" or "snow & Peak" any idea where they are? 

Cheers

If you are into catch and release the Parramatta Ruver can fire for anything from kings and salmon to Mulloway, bream, flathead and luderick. 

Work the tide start at Goat island and work your way up. If you like chasing the surface feeds on the salmon amd kings at the right time of year you can have a ball following the schools from bay to bay as they chase the bait. Usually around late summer. 

Personally if I caught a legal kingfish at Gladesville I'd eat it. They're on the move constantly and not hanging around like a bream or flathead which I'd avoid eating. 

Enjoy 

If I fish around Gladesville its catch and release, but its a great spot to teach the kids, if I am close to the Harbour Bridge I would consider keeping it, If I am at Taronga Zoo / Clifton Gardens / Balmoral we will keep a couple for a feed but still mostly catch and release.

With the little one they usually get tired and ratty after a few hours in the boat, so I never bank on doing much fishing and like I said with the family on board a few hours fishing is the best you can hope for. Its all about sight seeing and swimming.

13 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

If you are into catch and release the Parramatta Ruver can fire for anything from kings and salmon to Mulloway, bream, flathead and luderick. 

Work the tide start at Goat island and work your way up. If you like chasing the surface feeds on the salmon amd kings at the right time of year you can have a ball following the schools from bay to bay as they chase the bait. Usually around late summer. 

Personally if I caught a legal kingfish at Gladesville I'd eat it. They're on the move constantly and not hanging around like a bream or flathead which I'd avoid eating. 

Enjoy 

Thanks for the tips Luderick... hope I get to chase some king fish with you this  summer... I work on a roster so let me know if you are planning to head out?

8 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

If I fish around Gladesville its catch and release, but its a great spot to teach the kids, if I am close to the Harbour Bridge I would consider keeping it, If I am at Taronga Zoo / Clifton Gardens / Balmoral we will keep a couple for a feed but still mostly catch and release.

With the little one they usually get tired and ratty after a few hours in the boat, so I never bank on doing much fishing and like I said with the family on board a few hours fishing is the best you can hope for. Its all about sight seeing and swimming.

Thanks again for your reply Jeffb5.8, planning to head out to the east of the harbour bridge in the morning... ??

having take the family out yet, but I totally understand what you meant... kids don't have any patient at that age... 

Went out to "the cake" and the pike yesterday, not much luck there, didn't have time to catch live bait before heading out... so only have river prawns with me. 

On my way back in bump into two guys who brought up two kings, both very good size,...just outside goat island where the red maker is... so  jealous... 

btw any idea where would be a good spots for fishing around Clifton Gardens ,  Taronga zoo or Balmoral? 

Happy fishing guys... ?