Trip to Qld - but not much fishing took place

Yowie

In early June, I towed the caravan to Qld, but not much fishing took place.

Drove northwards near the coast for most of the time. Some days is was very windy, strong enough to blow a dog off a chain. In a lot of places, the locals were complaining that the wind was stronger than normal for winter, however, the rain was rather lacking.

The usual comments from the locals, "you should have been here last month, the fish were biting." After having a few swims in places, being careful to avoid the crocs (DO NOT swim in the northern rivers, only swim the beaches with caution, and with other people so you reduce the risk of being eaten first :lol:), the water was fairly cool a metre or 2 below the surface. No surf either, unless a cyclone is blowing.

Tried somewhere near Gladstone, on a sandy inlet, for a little dusky and a whiting, about 1.5 hours fishing. Wind blowing a gale.

Moved further north, fished of a big wharf, a long way down to the water, for nothing. Wind blowing a gale.

Found a small jetty up a river at Lucinda. Caught a Fingermark, undersized but a new species for me. Also caught 2 cod, looked like black rock cod but with some pale orange spots along the body. Probably undersized, released, another new species. Also pulled out 6 Pikey Bream, as per the photo. (none on Fishraider records) Only one was legal, others released. Another new species, and tastes similar to our yellow finned bream. A slash mark near it's tail was from something grabbing it on the way up. No wind, but sandflies by the hundreds. Bait used was half pillies with a very small ball sinker above the hook.

Headed for home down the centre of Qld. Stopped at a few freshwater river spots, no bites at all.

Called in at Orange for a couple of days (minus 5.5 degrees this morning, a bit cool in the van) Had a drive a bit west of town yesterday, found a small river and spotted some trout cruising about, a few near the 60cm mark. Only had soft plastics or hard body lures, no fly gear. No bites either, were not interested in the lures swimming past their noses.

Have to get back to some local fishing.

fish.jpeg.109.png

Edited by Yowie

Sounds almost identical to my fishing experiences during our winter qld trip a few years back. The accessible parts of coastal qld can certainly shut down in winter.

also, I thought the trout streams around orange were closed from Queens Birthday weekend. Are there some still open?

cheers

arron

6 hours ago, Volitan said:

Sounds almost identical to my fishing experiences during our winter qld trip a few years back. The accessible parts of coastal qld can certainly shut down in winter.

also, I thought the trout streams around orange were closed from Queens Birthday weekend. Are there some still open?

cheers

arron

I spoke to a local up there, he was getting ready to have a fish during the late afternoon.  Could not find any restrictions on fishing there. Not sure of the name of the creek, hopefully I did not break any rules.

Edited by Yowie

I was up there around then too, towed the boat (5m rib) and pushed out to Lady Musgrave in 15-20 knots to only be able to stay out there two days before doing the 76km run back to shore in 30knots of wind.

Lots of potential up that way, looking forward to having another crack at it.

I went up to Hervey bay and Gladstone  Awoonga dam 3 years in a row October and November for 2 weeks at a time and spent 4 weeks out of the 6 sitting on the front verandah of my mates house watching the wind blow the crap out of banana trees, done a bit of site seeing during the sitting on verandah. So it's not just a winter thing.

Frank

I don't think I've ever had a trip away anywhere that freak bad weather hasn't been a major part of the trip. My plan from now on is to head away when the forecast looks terrible to guarantee a few good days.

I think the message to anyone is to expect to get some pretty bad weather and have a few alternatives as settled good weather is rare these days. Long rocky headlands often have one side of shelter as do rivers and dams, google earth is good for finding sheltered areas.

I have to agree with JonD. Now I won't go away for a dedicated fishing trip unless there is a secondary attraction that is just about as strong, which I can pursue if the weather fails me - which it always seems to.

I read somewhere that the nth Queensland coast experiences the strongest trade wind in the world in winter, so we shouldn't be surprised if it blows most days.