Action On The Brisbane Water And Surrounds

bisso

howdy all, this is my first post after being an avid reader of all the forums in the past 6 months. i decided to register so i could read, reply, and simply ask you guys questions if needed. anyhow, i have been fishing the brisbane water area for many years now, i must say that it is the cleanest i have seen in many years. my main haunts are paddys channel and woy woy bay, but i was hoping some of you might be better experienced to perhaps suggest some more productive and less populated locations. i dont intend to go out to sea as yet due to my 4 yr old son being with me (teaching him the joys of fishing like my old man did to me). Anyway, love the site and enjoy the yarns, good for a laugh at the end a hard working day. hope to catch some big ones soon.... regards and thanks for your assistance.

Guest bluecod

:1welcomeani: to the site bisso - good place to hang out - but you already know that :074:

I haven't fished Brissy waters for years, since a mate's family sold their weekender at Daleys Point, however we always did Ok along the Daley's foreshore in close for bream on dusk using unweighted live nippers.

Another spot we had regular success was out in the centre about 100 metres from the Rip bridge fishing back towards it on a falling tide - good for reasonable sized lizards. If you want a feed of Elvis fish, anywhere along the Daley's foreshore in close to structure using peeled prawn.

G'day Bisso and :1welcomeani: to Fishraider.

I'm not familiar with Brisbane Waters at all, but I'm sure some of the other Raiders will be able to help you out with some tips.

Sounds like you're enjoying teaching the young fella the ways of fishing. Can't wait till my son (18 months) is old enough to wield a rod. :thumbup:

Looking forward to reading your reports. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Guest bluecod

... Can't wait till my son (18 months) is old enough to wield a rod. :thumbup:

Shane - how long do you want to wait - they're old enough at 18 months even though they don't understand until the rod starts to get pulled from him by a fish - teach him to wind the reel at home and tie a toy to the line so he gets the idea of winding the toy in to him - be surprised at how quick they pick it up. :thumbup:

:1welcomeani: bisso, hope you njoy the site.

having only ever boat fished as far up as Ettalong i cant say much for boat spots in the more sheltered areas as it can become quite rough around the mouth, however i have fished a fair bit shorebased (along with my young nephews) at Empire Bay and done quite well. Weve caught good bream, flatties,whiting and crabs here (not heaps but quality fish) and i could only imagine it to be even more productive from a boat as i have caught most of my fish casting out to the edge of the channel (i aim for the channel marker). its peaceful and protected and one of my favourite spots to get away from the ratrace. Im yet to get a jewie from there but theyd definately be an option too :thumbup:

btw, best bait has been live bloodworms and good Hawkesbury prawns.

Best of luck.

Welcome Bisso

:1welcomeani:

The places you mention in Brissie Waters are not bad spots to fish.

Paddys channel actually fishes OK at this time of year, but alot of undersize fish passing through there at the moment. Forget a weekend in summer as the place is very crowded :thumbdown: plus bl##dy 30ft bayliners ripping through at 30knots tends to upset the balance. The flats on the opposite side of the lions park ramp, around the corner from paddies can produce decent whiting.

Woy Woy bay will fish well, I pulled an 85cm flattie a few weeks ago from there. Also, on the brisbane waters side of the woy woy bridge, over near the oyster leases is a known spot to fish - run out tide. Bream and flatties.

Lots of flats around St huberts, and from Daleys Point around to Ettalong for flatties.

Spend the next few outings doing more sightseeing than fishing (using the sounder also) and you'll find the spots.

Regards

Adrian

Brisbane water can be on at times, but sometimes you have to work

The top of paddys on the tide change can produce some solid bream and flathead and the occasional school jew.

Theres a couple of deep holes near the daleys point side of the rip

Where booker bay marina is, its on the opposite side of the marina, sound around and you should pick them up.

Good for the run in tide

Then on the run out

The booker bay side of the bridge (non marina side) and another deep hole there.

Picked up a few nice jewies

A few of the oyster racks off paddies has some nice bream usually too.

The usual flathead drift on the flats at Ettalong and half tide rocks

Also had a few schools of salmon/tailor along here lately which has been good fun

We also encountered a school of macktuna right near the leases at killcare too.

Have fun

:1welcomeani: to the site bisso............

hope you enjoy the site, i find it very useful and entertaining........... :thumbup:

Anyways, i have been fishing brizzy waters for the last 5 years and only in the last 2 years have i really fished it alot. At least 3 times a month, and your exactly right, it is the cleanest it been and not to mention that the fishing is really starting to pick up in the last 2 years compared with other seasons, and i think its safe to say ??? that is due to the close on commercial fishing many years ago......

Some of the areas that have been firing for me latley have been ;

1. Rip Bridge - using fresh squid strips and chicken breast & parmasan cheese for big flounder eg.28-30cm, soapie jews, burley a must.....fish around tide changes coz otherwise it runs to hard

2. All Channel Markers south of the rip, on the run out tides at dusk, big bream - action only lasts 15 - 20mins but its usally a fish a cast and they're usally all decent. Burley heaps

3. Wharfs - Wagstaffe, Pretty Beach, squid on 1.5 yo zuri's in green, and burley up for livebait. eg. Yellowtail and mullet - your son should love catching those little bait fish and hopefully you can turn it into a monster jew or flathead..... :thumbup:

4. Andersons channel - burley up and drift the channel useing a wide varitey of baits and sp's for best results

especially for large flathead........ best on run out & around low tide change

all the spots ive mentioned you can fish with your son and always produce a feed for me. Just need to gather some bait before a session eg. nippers, squid and as long as u use fresh baits all the spots should not dissapoint....hopefully.... :biggrin2: ps. use bigger baits as there are some pickers and these spots for the next month at least shouldnt see huge boats everywhere........ I feel your pain bisso as i fish the are in an 8ft tinney............. Good luck :thumbup:

Shane - how long do you want to wait - they're old enough at 18 months even though they don't understand until the rod starts to get pulled from him by a fish - teach him to wind the reel at home and tie a toy to the line so he gets the idea of winding the toy in to him - be surprised at how quick they pick it up. :thumbup:

:074::074: Hey Bluecod my dad taught me to cast at home, he sat me near the fridge showed me how to tie a knot and id cast stubbies to him on the lounge all night. :thumbup:

Russ

Bisso, I been fishen brissy waters all my life, and I too think the fish are picking up on previous years.

All the advice already given is top notch, and you wont go wrong listening to these guys.

If your after advice on fishing the brissy, with soft plastics and lures, Tyronne on these forums has a fair bit of experience, and is always helpful with advice.

Other than that, there are many new spots I have been hearing about, like a decent hole at mossie bay, and some bream fireing again off the racks at Kincumber. All depends on what kind of boat setup you have, as to whether you can get into the racks or not.

Brisbane water can be on at times, but sometimes you have to work

The top of paddys on the tide change can produce some solid bream and flathead and the occasional school jew.

Theres a couple of deep holes near the daleys point side of the rip

Where booker bay marina is, its on the opposite side of the marina, sound around and you should pick them up.

Good for the run in tide

Then on the run out

The booker bay side of the bridge (non marina side) and another deep hole there.

Picked up a few nice jewies

A few of the oyster racks off paddies has some nice bream usually too.

The usual flathead drift on the flats at Ettalong and half tide rocks

Also had a few schools of salmon/tailor along here lately which has been good fun

We also encountered a school of macktuna right near the leases at killcare too.

Have fun

Hi djmac,

I'm trying to catch fish in Brisbane Water. like bisso, and picked-up your helpful tips.

As you're a Woy Woy local, you've obviously a good knowledge of the best spots to fish. I can follow your Paddy's Channel and Etalong directions, but I'm unsure where you mean when you describe the Rip Bridge spots you've suggest.

The holes on the Daley's Point side: you mean they're on the Woy Woy side of the bridge, towards St Hubert's Island? Or do you mean the seaward side of the bridge and on the Dailey's Point side of the Rip, but opposite the Booker Bay Marina? This is best on the run-in tide?

The holes on the Booker Bay side: you mean the holes are on on the seaward side of the bridge and on the Etalong Beach side of the Rip, near to the Booker Bay Marina ? This fishes best on the run-out tide?

Sorry for being slow on the uptake. But I value your advice.

:1welcomeani:

I was planning to wait until he was at least two. The :wife:'s idea more than mine. I may get him a cheap little setup for Christmas though and get him used to handling it.

:074::074: Hey Bluecod my dad taught me to cast at home, he sat me near the fridge showed me how to tie a knot and id cast stubbies to him on the lounge all night. :thumbup:

Russ

That sounds like a good idea Russ. :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1: