Outside Port Hacking

Yowie

A mate bought himself a second hand boat, similar to a Bertram 25, and wanted to try it out. I suggested he head outside for some flatties, he was happy with that idea. A big change fishing out there, different to a small tinnie and with a cabin to keep out of the wind while cruising along.

We headed south of Jibbon Bombie to the cliffs, out a little bit. A bit of swell, wind not too strong for a change.

Took a little while, and we found a patch of flounder, mostly small ones but no flatties about, so we kept them for a feed. Just could not find any flatties, so kept drifting along. The flounder stopped biting and eventually found the flatties. One every now and then, but enough to keep us happy. Plenty of little spikies as well. A few good feeds to be had. The biggest flattie was 47cm, and the biggest flounder was 36cm.

While we were drifting along, a big splash behind the boat, turned around and 2 whales were tail slapping and fin slapping the water, less than 100metres from the boat. After watching for a short while, we both grabbed our phones to take a photo, and the whales sounded and were not seen again.

Headed back up river to my mate's place, cleaned the fish and the bream were swimming about in the clear water munching on the flattie carcases, most were under sized, but it shows they are coming back into the river.

fish.jpeg.112.png

2 hours ago, Papa said:

Great report on the Hacking as usual Yowie and good timing. I plan on getting out there tomorrow all being well. Nice catch, always good to get a feed and you always seem to deliver.

Thankyou, the weather should be fairly good on Friday.

I'll let you know how we get on Yowie. I'll have a young bloke with me who doesn't travel too well on a bumpy sea so if we can get out for a few hours it will be a good change from inside the Hacking. Not much happening inside so far!

5 hours ago, Reel' em in said:

Nice catch mate, in what depth did you find the flounder ? 

30 to 35 metres. Only because my mate had a depth sounder on board. With my boat, no depth sounder, and it does not worry me, I just look at the marks on shore to line up a spot.

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

30 to 35 metres. Only because my mate had a depth sounder on board. With my boat, no depth sounder, and it does not worry me, I just look at the marks on shore to line up a spot.

My Grandfather always used the same method.

Never came home without a bag of good quality fish.