Gymea Baths

trigunner54

Decided to go test out my new soft plastic rod at Gymea baths yesterday (Long weekend). It was a Shimano catana soft plastic rod with a cazna reel on 8pound braid and 6pound flouro. Did some research and from personal experience previously, found that the only good spot was on the right (marked in purple in the picture). However it was completely packed at around 2pm with over 15 people fishing that wharf (lines casting over each other). The water there is actually fairly deep, with the wharf been in at least 3m plus water. Anyway, couldn't really get a good spot so for 2hours, didn't get a single take, same with the other 12 guys fishing along the wharf. The only people catching were a couple of guys that were on the spot on the right. As soon as they left, I quickly moved into that area, but only had time to fish for another 30minutes. Even in this spot, i couldn't get a single take with my soft plastic rod, which was frustrating :/ (so far only caught 2 fish on soft plastics ever, so very inexperienced). Decided to switch to a running float rig. 2minutes in first cast, got a solid down and float completely disappeared. Was onto a trevally which put up a nice fight on 6pound gear. Measured at 28cm and chucked it back. Chucked another bait in, and went to take a drink but just 3seconds in, another solid down. This time it was a solid mullet measuring 30cm+. Few minutes later and another trevally at 26cm then had to pack up and go. 

Overall it was a nice day, a bit windier then i expected and very packed (to be expected). The part shaded in purple is the part i ended up fishing last and what i would recommend for this place. Goodluck guys, got school exams then New Zealand schoolies (will be doing fishing there but nothing serious) so not much more fishing until January. 

PS: Don't swim outside the nets if you swim here, always see people doing it. Have seem pretty large sharks cruising next to the nets. 

Gymea baths.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 03/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, notoriousTASH said:

I wasn't far from Gymea yesterday. I agree with you on the wind, made the area I was fishing in very choppy. I'll have to check this spot out next time I go out! Well done on the catches :)

Hey mate , would anyone know any good spots around gymea baths land based ? Me and my brother just started fishing and we need a good spot if anyone is generous enough , thanks ! ☺️

Good report mate. The soft plastics take time, watch plenty of YouTube clips but you can’t beat time in/on the water. A good place to hone your skills is out at Kurnell. Either off the rock groynes or off the beach. You can fish it in all types of winds and I guarantee you’ll pick up a flatty or two. Fish as light a jig head as possible to still be able to cast some distance (1/12th or 1/8th) and work it back, squidgy wriggler 100mm in bloodworm will work out there. Good luck and I second the charter in NZ!!!

On 09/01/2018 at 7:51 PM, TomUglys said:

Hey mate , would anyone know any good spots around gymea baths land based ? Me and my brother just started fishing and we need a good spot if anyone is generous enough , thanks ! ☺️

Hey there! Sorry for the late response, Just started my new job this week so it's been hectic!

How far are you willing to go from Gymea baths? If you can make it to sans souci, highly recommend sans souci park. There's a purpose built fishing wharf just there and when I started out fishing I found it such an easy place to fish because the water is calm most days (unless it's a windy day of course) and there's no snags whatsoever (that was a big problem for me when I started).

Recommend you get in early of a weekend as it can get crowded and difficult to find a spot, though you could also fish under Capt Cook bridge too which is just next to the wharf. 

Also recommend taking a picnic chair with you, whilst there are little pillar type things you can sit on (those things people tie their boat to), I found a picnic chair makes for a comfy experience.

Another reason I like it there is there's BBQ facilities if you wanna bring some snags for lunch, and there's also a public bathroom attached to the leisure centre nearby (2 min walk).

PM me if you like, and if you decide to head out there, My partner and I might join you guys, wet a line and give you any tips. We have been fishing about a year so whilst we aren't pros, we have learnt quite a bit:)