Trolling lures for flathead!

Scratchie

Just tried to find the pink plastic we used today and OK they don't exist any more...getting old...

was wondering what the go to plastic for flatties is these days. After 5 years off the water have decided to stay away from the kings and getting back into the basics..

23 minutes ago, rippinlips said:

Just tried to find the pink plastic we used today and OK they don't exist any more...getting old...

was wondering what the go to plastic for flatties is these days. After 5 years off the water have decided to stay away from the kings and getting back into the basics..

A lot of different opinions here, but I like squidgy fish and wrigglers for flatties. The squidgy wriggler in 100m and fish in 80mm are perfect.

Hi Jeff,

I used to have do OK trolling just about any bass lure out of a canoe or my punt (rowed). Other lures that worked were Tiger Minnow, Wonder Wobbler, F7 Flatfish, Tassie Devils and a lure I made out of a toothbrush! In the deeper channels, try any of the deep diving minnows.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

The other method is a live baited poddy mullet, most days it yields the bigger fish.

Plucked two 70cm flatties on old school plastics yesterday on fill the plate with fish mission....don't need to go bigger and complicate fishing with collecting mullet as would let them go anyway and they don't really pull that much string....if I want to be stretched then would go on king mission.....

Hey raiders, 

once again thank you all for your input. I rummaged through the boxes today and found an array of weapons that you have all mentioned. 

As I said in my original post, I have no problem scoring a bag on sp’s or bait! 

My favourite go to sps are squidgy fish, 5in gulp jerk shad Pilchard, bloodyworm wrigglers, or drop bears. All dynamite when their on the chew!!

Im heading out tomorrow arvo weather permitting and I’ll report back on the results! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Guest Guest123456789
16 hours ago, rippinlips said:

Plucked two 70cm flatties on old school plastics yesterday on fill the plate with fish mission....don't need to go bigger and complicate fishing with collecting mullet as would let them go anyway and they don't really pull that much string....if I want to be stretched then would go on king mission.....

What about using live yabbies for bream and live worms for whiting, is that too complicated as well? Will they stretch you?

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

What about using live yabbies for bream and live worms for whiting, is that too complicated as well? Will they stretch you?

Always use live yabbies and worms when up the coast and they are easy to get.  Stretched may have been the wrong choice of word...just want to keep fishing simple for now...

spent two hours trolling today for no result. 

These are the lures I used........

1B0ADB27-251D-4BCE-B889-FB5C095278E4.jpeg

A good mixture. I worked the 1.5-4m area. 

After that I pulled them in and drifted the same area for 2 small flatties on sps in 15mins. 

I will try again in a month or so when they move into the bay in numbers! 

Cheers scratchie!!!