The one that got away,

Bryson

Hey raiders, wouldn't mind an opinion or 2 after this report.....

after fishing Yarra bay a number of times for not much luck on servo baits I decided to head to the tackle shop at first light and get some fresh bait, was hoping for live yabbies but had to settle for live worms and grabbed a handful of pillies, had some burley I bought previous week and started throwing that out as soon as I got to my spot and set up 2 rods, one for whiting and one for whatever took a fancy to half a pillie, whiting rod with worm went out and before i had finished the other rod I was on, a 30cm whiting, I put him back in the hope I would have more to come. 

I then threw some more burley in and finished the other rod and cast out, before I had put the rod in the holder and wound the slack the rod was almost pulled out of my hand.... after the initial shock I realised I had hooked something big, the line was being ripped off the real and I could do anything to stop it, was fighting it for about 5 minutes and it went on another run but this time towards the rocks on my right, I tightened my drag by one or two clicks and ping the line snapped, absolutely devastated as I've not caught anything all that substantial in my time fishing here in oz, biggest till now is a 56cm salmon and this thing made that feel like a baby bream. Anyone think what I may have hooked? Kingy maybe? 

After this it slowed down and I Ended the morning with a flattie at 42 and another whiting around the 30 mark, 

although I lost the best fish of the session it was still an awesome morning and will have me going back again and again, knowing there is some big fish to be had from the shore. 

IMG_1444.JPG

Edited by Bryson

Losing a good fish is always what makes us go back for more! I’d say you hooked a kingy. Once they see the boat they usually take a second run and that sounds what has done you! I never adjust my drag during the fight and have seen many people come undone doing this. Adjust your drag prior to the fish your targeting and play it out! Just my opinion! Better luck next time! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yea I've been kicking myself for adjusting the drag since ? Cheers for the feedback scratchie 

4 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Losing a good fish is always what makes us go back for more! I’d say you hooked a kingy. Once they see the boat they usually take a second run and that sounds what has done you! I never adjust my drag during the fight and have seen many people come undone doing this. Adjust your drag prior to the fish your targeting and play it out! Just my opinion! Better luck next time! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Edited by Bryson

Haha that sounds like a kingy to me, what lb line were you running.

sorry for laughing lol

took it as soon as it hit the water puts ray outta the equation and theres alot more kings than sharks in that area, plus changing directions and going for the structure on last run!

time for an upgrade lol

bad luck mate.

14 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Haha that sounds like a kingy to me, what lb line were you running.

sorry for laughing lol

took it as soon as it hit the water puts ray outta the equation and theres alot more kings than sharks in that area, plus changing directions and going for the structure on last run!

time for an upgrade lol

bad luck mate.

The fact it was probably a kingy makes it worse lol suppose I have to laugh or else I'd cry, 

also the leader is what snapped and that was 10lb flouro 

Edited by Bryson

Did you check the end of your line where it snapped? Was it a clean cut like it just snapped or maybe a little rough as if you got rubbed off?

"One or two" clicks on the drag is very minimal and it is possible you just put too much pressure on it, but it's also possible you got reefed by the fish and it just seemed like you put on too much pressure. You said it went towards rocks as well.

If you find the end is roughed up then you got reefed and I would say it was a Kingy.

14 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:
3 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

Did you check the end of your line where it snapped? Was it a clean cut like it just snapped or maybe a little rough as if you got rubbed off?

"One or two" clicks on the drag is very minimal and it is possible you just put too much pressure on it, but it's also possible you got reefed by the fish and it just seemed like you put on too much pressure. You said it went towards rocks as well.

If you find the end is roughed up then you got reefed and I would say it was a Kingy.

No didn't check the line , I just wanted to get rigged back up sharpish in the hope there were more about, could well of been reefed. 

4 hours ago, sam bros said:

Spewing 

Hopefully you get him next time

When the fish is near the boat, I tend to back the drag off a little bit, to give me a bit more wiggle room

Majority of time the fish is lost boatside or close to landing

Gutted is an understatement mate. 

Was off the beach and he ran towards the rocks to the side of me, to be honest I think I panicked a bit as I've Not hooked anything that powerful before, live and learn I guess 

12 hours ago, Mike89 said:

That'll keep you going back for more!

Good stuff and nice flatty. Too bad about the big one!

Certainly be back, was starting to think i needed a new spot but Better bait and more preparation defo showed better results 

6 hours ago, dani!o said:

mate i fish yarra bay all the time. That place produces all kinds of stuff - i've got my best 2 occie there but from flounder to... well, I've even seen a seal there. PM me if you wanna catch up over a couple wet lines

Yea I'm starting to get regular catches there now, my mrs had a 2 hour evening class last night so managed to get there from 6-8, worth it for 2 nice bream. IMG_1462.JPGWill give you a pm mate ??

Edited by Bryson