Advice Needed For New Combo

Thumper

Hi mate,

Ok for a reel I would suggest -

Daiwa Capricorn in either the 2000 or 2500 size.

Daiwa Theory in either the 2000 or 2500 size.

Shimano Stradic 2500.

Penn Slammer 260.

As for the rod well there a quite a number of deals going at the moment. There are some bargains at the moment for the Strudwick range and some stores have up to 50% off the rrp. Unfortunately I don't know which stores are doing this.

However here are some rods to match the reels to -

Shimano -

Shimano Raider Finesse Bream Spin 7' 1 piece 2-4kg.

Shimano Raider Finesse Bream Spin 7' 6" 2 piece 2-4kg.

Shimano Raider Rack Raider Spin 5' 8" 3-5kg. These come in both 1 and 2 piece setups.

Steve Starling Shimano Squidgy Barra Spin 6' 6". These are a 4-8kg stick so they may be a bit heavy.

Steve Starling Shimano Squidgy Spin 7'.

Steve Starling Shimano Stella 6' 6".

Steve Starling Shimano Stradic 7'.

The Berkley Dropshots are a great rod at such a cheap price.

You may possibly be able to pick a Daiwa Procaster if you shop around and they have a varying range from 6', 6'6" and 7' and range from 1-3kg, 2-4kg and 3-5kg.

The Daiwa Heartlands are also possibly in reach if you shop around and they have a varying range from 6' and 6'6" and range from 2-3kg, 2-4kg and I think they even go to 4-7kg.

Also Pflueger make a dam good rod at a very affordable price.

All these rods I have listed are all graphite composite rods and would suit any reel that is mentioned above as well.

The best way is to go and look at which rod best suits your purpose and budget. Then once you have selected the rod find a reel that is within your budget. You will then know which setup you like the best once you have it in your hands.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lee

Hi Thumper,

I bought my first SP spinning rod today. Got a 7' Strudwick Sic stik 1-3kg for $99 at Australian Bass Angler. Even gave me the raider discount but I bought two.

Haven't tried it out but I noticed they had a big range of spinning graphite rods - Daiwa heartland, SHimano steve starling, G loomis, some Abu.

Cheapest were the shimano steve starling squidgy?, I think around $90.

Cheers,

Paul