Line Diameter and Knot Question

Armpits

Just some more stuff I need to know:

-For line weight can you determine which is heavier by reading the diameter instead of the lb? Let’s say we have 2 lines the same kind and same weight but the diameter for one is 0.280 and the other is 0.250 - Does this mean the 0.250 is lighter and thinner? 

-Also when tying a swivel knot I sometimes have a problem when I go to tighten the knot it won’t tighten all the way smoothly. What is causing this? I also wet the line before tightening. Could it be I am wrapping too many knots? Hmmm....

I think using line diameter is the best way to determine its strength and to compare to one another. If there are 2 different lines that are both stated as 10lb but one is thinner, you can generally assume it’s weaker as well. Don’t think they are the same strength just because the lb numbers are the same.

What knot are you tying to the swivel? It usually gets caught and not snug down if you do too many turns. All lines are different. Try 1 or 2 less turns. 

It’s a balance with the amount of turns, from being able to tie neatly and not slipping. You still get the odd one and have to retie.

Just a normal knot don’t know the exact name but it’s the simple loop and then twist and twist then put through the circle loop. Yeh I usually twist about 6-7 times, the more I twist the more I think it’s better. Maybe that is the cause? How many turns is normal?

3 minutes ago, Armpits said:

Just a normal knot don’t know the exact name but it’s the simple loop and then twist and twist then put through the circle loop. Yeh I usually twist about 6-7 times, the more I twist the more I think it’s better. Maybe that is the cause? How many turns is normal?

Sounds like you are tying a Half Blood knot. I wouldn’t do less than 7 turns with that knot or you risk it slipping. If you are using stiff line and you find it’s not snugging down then try less twists. Just watch out because it can slip with less. 

Having troubles snugging down your knot can be from a variety of things, though usually its the leader material itself, the diameter of the leader material, the knot used and how many turns done in the knot.

But simply i find:

* The more turns the harder it can sometimes be to snug down (this is amplified with thicker line).
* Some lines knot easier than others, usually your harder lines like fluorocarbon and some of the tougher style leaders don't knot as easy as the softer/more limp lines. E.g. mono generally is much easier to knot compared to fluorocarbon. 

Sounds like you're doing a half-blood knot. If you aren't already, make sure you 'lock' it off in the end - this will prevent it slipping which hateanchors mentions. I also like to leave a little bit of tag end (e.g. don't cut it as close as you can, leave half a cm), this just gives an extra bit of insurance, in if you didn't pull it down tight enough to lock it in (which you should!), if it does slip at all the half cm could save it and allow it to lock down before it unravels.

The below picture shows the extra step to lock the blood knot, basically you do as you said, wrap it around your finger, twist it a good 6-8 times (less for thick leader, more for thin leader) put the end back through the loop you created with your finger, then finally to lock it all off you put it back through the circle created whilst doing this (step 4 of the pic) which kind of goes against the direction of the finger loop locking it into place.

lockedhalfblood.gif

With all that being said If the wraps aren't sliding down and locking, just use your fingers to slide/wiggle it down, rather than attempting to apply excess force by pulling the line - and of course make sure you lubricate the knot with saliva. 

I generally use a locked half blood knot for lighter leader (20lb and less), 30lb+ i use a unit knot (3 to 4 turns depending on thickness). 

Edited by macca02

G'day Armpits. If you are tying (heavy) line to a swivel there are lots of options to use. Check them out on Youtube and tie one that better suits your needs. Line diameter can be tricky too, because different manufacturers will produce a whole range of product with varying quality. Far better to rely (as a guide only) on the stated breaking strain for a particular target species. Most anglers have their preferred lines to suit the purpose it is used for. bn

the locked half blood knot shown is basically the go to knot for most anglers..ive been using this knot for 50yrs after my dad taught me at age 5   I only use 4 turns and have never had a problem..saying that I use many knots for many different circumstances...get into your computer and look up some knots to try   there are many..most are easy and you can try some and choose what suits your needs...also some cheap brands of nylon don't knot well which may be your prob with knot performance...rick