Broughton Island Snapper

Berleyguts

After only being able to look longingly at the water for several weeks due to a few dramas at home, I finally got the chance to get out yesterday. I wanted to be on the grounds at first light but I must admit that I find that harder to do in summer than in winter! With first light at 5:10, I just didn't make it and it was 5:45 by the time I hit the heads after launching at Soldiers Point. ? It was a spectacular sunrise though:

IMG_4341.JPGStopped off at Mrs Murphy's to catch live bait but I just couldn't find them, so didn't waste too much time and headed north for Broughton with just a short troll along the western side of Boondelbah to pick up a bonito for bait. The trusty XRap in ghost strikes again. ?

Trolled a high speed skirt all the way to Broughton at 18-20 knots. Thought I might as well have something in the water but I think the water's still a little cold. 18 degrees but got 19 and 20 at Broughton.

Got to the spot and set the spot lock and started a berley trail and floated down an unweighted bait. Got hit on the drop and boated a little 35cm red. Nice start.

IMG_4343.JPG

After that, I had no luck with the plastics at all and only managed smaller reds on bait -  the right species though. ? I released 5 or 6 at 32cm, only to realise when I got home and put my reading glasses on that the minimum length is 30cm, not 33! DOH!

Still, I had an amazing day on the water! Good for the soul!

Edited by Berleyguts

29 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Good work bazza and good to see you out and about! I’m heading up there in the morning! Hopefully I can get a few! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Good luck and keep me posted! I'm working all weekend but maybe I can get out again on Tuesday.

6 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I released 5 or 6 at 32cm, only to realise when I got home and put my reading glasses on that the minimum length is 30cm, not 33! DOH!

Still, I had an amazing day on the water! Good for the soul!

Yes but they will get much bigger now for next time!!

18 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Yes but they will get much bigger now for next time!!

True dat!

Anyway, the one I kept tasted very nice this evening, steamed and it was supplemented by a larger one from the freezer, kept from a trip with Scratchie a while back. That was done in the oven with chilli and ginger. Yummo!