life jacket reminder

rickmarlin62

a sad reminder to boaties today with a vessel coming to greif on the bar at laurieton north haven...two rescued one deceased..every bar entrance I fish out of has huge signs about the wearing of life jackets when using bars...the waterways pull people over and fine them if caught at Swansea.....PLEASE WEAR THEM AND BE SAFE everybody...rick

Great reminder RIck.

May i Remind those with inflatable life jackets that they need an annual service (i do mine every year just before christmas). This usually involves a manual inflation and a weighting of the CO2 cylinder (check your individual instructions for your models correct procedure).

An inflatable life jacket is a piece of rag unless it inflates...

8 hours ago, SquidMarks said:

Great reminder RIck.

May i Remind those with inflatable life jackets that they need an annual service (i do mine every year just before christmas). This usually involves a manual inflation and a weighting of the CO2 cylinder (check your individual instructions for your models correct procedure).

An inflatable life jacket is a piece of rag unless it inflates...

Reminds me... I have to self-test mine again.

Also, keep an eye out for the Maritime life jacket new for old exchange program coming to a boat ramp near you. ?

On 04/12/2017 at 8:22 AM, Berleyguts said:

Reminds me... I have to self-test mine again.

Also, keep an eye out for the Maritime life jacket new for old exchange program coming to a boat ramp near you. ?

Which isn't free by the way, they charge the same as they cost at most boating stores. The only part that's free is they take your old jackets off you.

11 hours ago, JonD said:

Which isn't free by the way, they charge the same as they cost at most boating stores. The only part that's free is they take your old jackets off you.

Yeah, I know they’re not free but I reckon an auto inflateable pfd for $65 on exchange or $90 without is pretty good. I have struggled to get an auto inflateable for under $120.

6 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, I know they’re not free but I reckon an auto inflateable pfd for $65 on exchange or $90 without is pretty good. I have struggled to get an auto inflateable for under $120.

You do need to be carefull with the auto ones as my mate had all 4 of his inflate inside his cab due to humidity after getting some water in it and leaving it closed up with the jackets inside.

There was also a fatality down here where a skipper tried to pull his anchor from a rear cleat, pulling the back of the boat underwater. The people on deck ended in the water but the two men became trapped when their auto jackets inflated trapping them in the cab. I know many people would say why not simply take them off but these people were new to boating ( hence pulling an anchor fro the rear ) . 

Hundreds of people are wearing their jackets by law to cross bars everyday. If a boat gets rolled over in those conditions and you are in a cab I believe an auto inflate could make escape worse ( just my opinion).

1 hour ago, JonD said:

You do need to be carefull with the auto ones as my mate had all 4 of his inflate inside his cab due to humidity after getting some water in it and leaving it closed up with the jackets inside.

There was also a fatality down here where a skipper tried to pull his anchor from a rear cleat, pulling the back of the boat underwater. The people on deck ended in the water but the two men became trapped when their auto jackets inflated trapping them in the cab. I know many people would say why not simply take them off but these people were new to boating ( hence pulling an anchor fro the rear ) . 

Hundreds of people are wearing their jackets by law to cross bars everyday. If a boat gets rolled over in those conditions and you are in a cab I believe an auto inflate could make escape worse ( just my opinion).

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I fish mostly solo and in an open boat, so an auto inflateable works for me. If I end up in the water unconscious, I have peace of mind.

I have had a couple inflate while stored under the casting deck while I was washing the boat (I did give it a good soaking!). Now they come out of the boat when I’m washing it and they hang in the garage and go back in the boat the night before a trip.