All rounder rod and reel package.

kaniSS

Hi Gents, I've been out of the tackle world for so long so not sure what I should be looking for these days. 

Looking for an all rounder, big fish rod that will serve the following purposes;

-Rock fishing, Beach fishing, Boat fishing - Big enough to cast far, but not as big as a surf rod and small enough to fit in an Estate Wagon. Prefer 2 piece but 1 is ok.   

Also looking to match it up with a 8000 size reel. I want this reel to hold up against big kings, as a NZ trip is lined up next year. Prefer one with 2 spools. Shimano or Daiwa prefered. 

What do you guys recommend?

Budget - Rod - $100-150

Reel - 300-350 max.

Cheers.

I started my set at K-Mart a year or so ago. In Total i spent about 250 bucks, but that included 2 medium sized rods for me and my misses, A basic tackle box set that included the basics, and a few extra hooks and sinkers. 

The rods and reels are still running just fine. But the plan is to replace broken rods and damaged reels with more quality equipment down the road. 

As Swordfisherman said, you're going to need two setups. All of the rods I use off the rocks will be too long to bring on board a boat.

Also, I haven't seen a reel that comes with 2 spools in ages, you'll have to buy a separate spare one if you want 2 spools.

You also didn't factor in the budget for Line as well, unless that is included in your reel budget.

Edited by Rob81

Something like a Diawa 1062 rod is good for the beach and I use mine on a boat, although it takes a bit of practice. Good for Flatties and Bream. Otherwise anything in the 2-4 Kg range with a 4000 series reel, and if you put some 4lb line on it, its good for whiting too. I very much like my Shimano Catana 2 piece. Its a 702SP I think. (7 foot two piece soft plastics). If you buy the same model reels, you can spool with different line, and then its easy to swap spools if you want to. A cheap reel is somehting like the shimano hyperloop. A bit plastic, but still comes with a 10 year warranty and is around $35

As said above, I don't think you can get it all in one rod. It really depends on what you are targeting at the time. You'll probably find that in about 3 months time, you've got 12 rods!