Old School Groper Alvey setup

Sea Ranger

Hi All, 

I'm looking to put together a setup for Groper off the rocks at Sydney.

I have some Alvey reels that I want to use or at least one of them lol

650BE1 Rockhopper

700C5 

650A5

I'm leaning to the Rockhopper or 700C5

Hunting around the internet,, I'm seeing anything from 20 to 40kg line reccomended.

On Alex Belissimo's site he suggests

Groper
SU9177 with 7inch ALVEY reel spooled with 25-37kg Line
or
FSU6120 with 7inch ALVEY reel spooled with 25-37kg Line
or
GH14 with 7inch ALVEY reel spooled with 25-37kg Line

When I look at the specs for the FSU6120 from Ozflex they are rated at 10 to 15kg line.   I can't find the others   Is the 25kg to 37kg line and gropers way to much for this rod?

I currently have at my disposal (but not shy from buying a new rod lol) 

Wilson

Champion Trophy 13.6 foot  (6-10kg line I think Champion trophy is not on current website)

Trophy  12 foot  6-8kg line

MT7144 12 foot  10kg line

Excel Composites Custom rod

BSU 365 7W   12 foot  8-15kg

Butterworth Coastal Wave Breaker

4.45 meters  6-12kg line

Whopper Stopper (no idea lol) 

looks about 12 foot stamped 7144

What rod (Still available for Alvey) would be suitable for my task?  

BIG GROPER off the rocks is my New Years resolution!!

Cheers

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish
add stuff

8 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if you can get a fsu6120 blank and make it or have it made trim70mm from tip  and you will have no probs running 24kg line..i made quite a few for jew when I had my shop...rick

Sorry I was editing my post when you were answering Rick.   I was looking at a OZFLEX FAST SURF FSU6120 2PCE 

Bear

29 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if you can get a fsu6120 blank and make it or have it made trim70mm from tip  and you will have no probs running 24kg line..i made quite a few for jew when I had my shop...rick

Why trim the tip and not the butt may i ask?

im still new to rod building

2 hours ago, xerotao said:

Why trim the tip and not the butt may i ask?

im still new to rod building

The new/shorter tip will be stiffer and will allow to handle better heavier line and heavier casting weights.  If the donor rod is 2 piece then I  might trim from both tip and butt otherwise the new/uneven-length rod pieces will look ugly. 

17 minutes ago, savit said:

The new/shorter tip will be stiffer and will allow to handle better heavier line and heavier casting weights.  If the donor rod is 2 piece then I  might trim from both tip and butt otherwise the new/uneven-length rod pieces will look ugly. 

Then that would change the blanks cast and line weights i guess?

I hardly ever built two piece rods..if you pik up a shop bought two piece 95% wont have the spine lined up..which causes the blank to roll...one piece rods in heavier sizes are inherently stronger..and if built with the guides lined up with the spine will work better and not stress your guides or try to roll in your hand..rick

Well this is starting to sound an awful lot like a custom setup.  My Wilson Trophy's are 1 piece but worried with ratings to 10kg line only.

Would there be a blank that is available today that would suit Groper if I have to go the custom route or is there an off the shelf solution I'm not seeing?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Bear

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

maybe try to find an mt8144..possibly a Wilson...rick

I found this one

https://tuckeystackle.com.au/alvey/1137-ozflex-fast-surf-fsu6120-2pce-alvey.html

But it is on the other side of the country.  Would prefer to find one locally.  For that matter I'm not sure if I'm really doing any better than my BSU 365 7W   12 foot  8-15kg (3 piece)

I looked at Dinga but nothing there.  I called my LFS but they suggested a FSU4120 :o  So I'll stick to my own research lol

Bear

I was at my not so local favorite shop today. They had some 1 piece mt8144 setup for Alvey but the owner suggested a fsu 5120g as a better option.  I'm not sure about that and concerned about the g  which stands for graphite.  Tapers were different obviously and the fsu was lighter but it was for spinning not Alvey though the reel seat distance to the first runner was identical.  The shop would chop 6inches off the handle if I wanted.  I baulked and walked out lol.  I think the mt8144 is better and 100 bucks cheaper too