Fingermark in Port Hacking

Mr Hacking

Just a question. I pulled in a 20 cm Golden Snapper/Fingermark Bream/Moses Perch last week and although I realise it's not that usual this far down I figured there would be some Fishraiders that have done the same. Is this the case ? Or was that quite unique.

Fingermark.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Hacking said:

hey Berleyguts was that you ? I've heard the yellowfin in SWA story 1,000 times ... maybe you were the actual guy ????

Maybe. Was back in the late 80s from memory, autumn. I rowed there in my 10ft punt from Wally’s Wharf at Dolan’s Bay, working with the tide. I’d caught the emperor and a few bream. Anchored up in SWA for a rest, lunch and to clean the fish. I was rinsing a fish over the side when I nearly sh@t myself as huge shape came past me and I thought it was a shark. Then I saw the barrel shape and the yellow sickles and knew it was a fin, est. 20-30kg.  I actually hand fed it pillies and threw live yakkas at it as it buzzed the boat, showering me with spray. However anything with a hook in it, it wouldn’t touch. I don’t know what I’d have done if it did! My heaviest outfit was 4kg pretest flouro mono on a Baitrunner on a Butterworth Super Barra blank. I tied a milk bottle off on the anchor rope and was prepared to cut the rope and get towed around the Port! I told the story at my fishing club the next week... no-one believed the spangled emperor until I showed them the photo and no-one would believe the yellowfin story until fellow club member and fishing writer, John Ashley, backed me up, saying they had been getting a few in there with 50lb gear. It was a strange season! They get in there from time to time. ?

Saw a photo of a 26 kg yellowfin pulled out of south west arm ten or so years ago.

Then there was the 71 pound yellowfin pulled out of Gymea Bay a few years back. It was a bit sick and had swum up onto the rocky shoreline, before a couple of blokes pulled it on shore.

And i think it was 2006 there were Dollies caught off the rocks  @(Gunyah point) , a yellow fin landed off the spit @ Maianbar/Bonnivale, and one of the "old boys" here in Maianbar reckons theres a photo of a bull shark grabbing a small deer down near Audley, love the Hacking ! :)