Bryson

Happy Xmas and new year fishos. 

Quick back story, I've been doing a lot of fishing over the last year and have had some success, caught a decent salmon from maroubra, tailor from coledale, good bream, whiting and flatties from Yarra bay and a lot of undersized fish from parsley bay. But I've had a lot of blanks in between a few catches. Im happy that I can catch bream whiting and flatties quite consistently by getting live worms and yabbies and moving about to find the fish but I feel i have to do more than just cast half a pillie on a running sinker into the drink and hoping for the best when I'm targeting salmon, tailor, kings ect. I really like maroubra beach and fancy my chances at finding a gutter there but it's so busy with swimmers and surfers from first light, I don't expect anyone's secret spots but any help with what to aim at when targeting these and if there's any way of maybe burleying in the surf conditions? If anyone knows a beach that is less busy than maroubra that could fish well that would be a dream. I don't mind driving a couple of hours for morning of fishing. 

Sorry for the essay, and thanks for any help. 

hi mate, salmon, tailor and kings are always on the move and rarely feed on the bottom so baits and sinkers arent the best approach.

id be hitting the same spots youve been getting fish with small metal lures.

if you see birds and bustups start winding as soon as it hits the water, if not then let it sink to different depths before retreving.

keep moving until you find them.

pelagics and landbased is not easy.

10 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

hi mate, salmon, tailor and kings are always on the move and rarely feed on the bottom so baits and sinkers arent the best approach.

id be hitting the same spots youve been getting fish with small metal lures.

if you see birds and bustups start winding as soon as it hits the water, if not then let it sink to different depths before retreving.

keep moving until you find them.

pelagics and landbased is not easy.

Cheers mate I'll give that a go, very much appreciated. Hopefully over the next week I'll be posting about a nice catch or 2 ??

Hi mate, the answer is easy!! when I lived in Bondi i fished McKenzies Point ,take a left out onto the rocks from the track that goes along to Tamaramma , head out on the rocky headland , you'll see holes drilled in the rocks for rod-holders, I fished with 13 foot beach rod, 4000 size reel with 20lb mono(I dont like braid on big beach gear) ,swivel then 1.5m 30lb leader, whole pillies either on a bobby cork rig, or running spoon/star sinker rig ,again with a whole pillchard on gangs.

When using pillies on gang hooks , if the bait is rigged head first youll get tailor, i rig them tail first for the kings......

As with any open ocean spot you need to check conditions and swell, its an awesome spot with a small swell at first light

Cheers

3 hours ago, AI fella said:

Hi mate, the answer is easy!! when I lived in Bondi i fished McKenzies Point ,take a left out onto the rocks from the track that goes along to Tamaramma , head out on the rocky headland , you'll see holes drilled in the rocks for rod-holders, I fished with 13 foot beach rod, 4000 size reel with 20lb mono(I dont like braid on big beach gear) ,swivel then 1.5m 30lb leader, whole pillies either on a bobby cork rig, or running spoon/star sinker rig ,again with a whole pillchard on gangs.

When using pillies on gang hooks , if the bait is rigged head first youll get tailor, i rig them tail first for the kings......

As with any open ocean spot you need to check conditions and swell, its an awesome spot with a small swell at first light

Cheers

Absolute diamond geezer. Thanks for that info mate i will check conditions and get out as soon as I can and give it a bash. Might take a walk up there now and see if I can find the the holes for the rod, make it easier for when I'm walking up at first light. 

Will post a report if I hook up. 

Thanks again ??

If your looking for kings and other bigger ooglies nothing will can beat a live bait. 

It will require an early wake up, catching live bait either squid or yakkas etc, live bait tank with aerator. Then fish from any rocky ledge around Sydney with access to some deeper water

single hook through the nose or just above the spine/fin. 1.5m leader, swivel sinker then a float which u can adjust to set your depth

i would use the same rig even with pillies or strip baits