Why cannot find any bait fish and squid?

Armpits

I have been reading up alot on where good spots for bait fishing and squid and I see alot of people been saying Balmoral. So decided to go check it out and it was packed at the wharf at night but had a look around there was no sight of any bait fish as people have claimed. 

Also another place people mentioned was Kirribilli wharf. Went there at night and no bait fish around either. Also threw the squid jig in to see if any squid and not even one. 

Why are people saying these places are good when I have not seen anything there? People make a big hype so I had to check it out and couldn’t see one in sight?

Besides the above, does anyone know a good spot around Sydney for bait fish and squid? That you are bound to atleast see and not end up wasting time for a no show.

• Confused 1

just standing there looking for them doesn't mean they aren't there..my local jetty holds squid..some nights you catch heaps some none..daytime never..bait can hide under jetties or they may be 40mtrs out over reef..if you want instant bait head for a shop or look around and fish for them like everyone else has to...none of us has been handed spots that work all the time..we have to try different spots at different times..its called learning and is part of fishing...rick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Armpits said:

So if you guys cannot see the bait fish how do you make them appear? I am new to this so don’t know much.

Berley - start mushing up a small amount of bread and feed it into the water in small amounts- watch what comes up- give it 30 minutes- if no go -move

Bait will always hold near, or close to structure for protection. Armpits, usually baitfish like to feed on dawn or dusk to avoid being eaten by predators during daylight hours or at night when the toothies come out. So at night it will be nearly impossible to spot baitfish.

My advice try the hour before and after sunset/sunrise for baitfish, i.e. yakka's, slimies, gar's. As for squid, good luck,, they may be there, they may not be, but they might only switch on for a hour to feed, then shut down. I have squidded at Balmoral 100's if not 1000's of times for the last 20 years for countless hours for not even a single grab, or a pulled tentacle. Move around as others have mentioned, but don't be surprised if they come on the chew after you leave,,,, this is the worst!!!!!

Dan