Reel Selection (Help Required)

shakey55

Happy New Year to all the Fishraiders. 

I have a Live Fibre Overhead Rod (RLFTX16) 10 - 15 kg rated

there are some specials running at the moment and I would like some input what would be a good reel to suit this rod. 

I will be using it to do some light trolling, some live baiting and some occasional bottom bashing. 

I had done some researching and have been thinking of a Shimano Tyrnos 20. 

Some suggestions from Raiders would be nice. 

One further question - is a two speed needed ?

thanks

Edited by shakey55

imo two speed reels don't have any advantage till you get up to 24kg line...in lighter line the balance between drag pressures and gearing doesn't work....we fished for sharks out of lake mac for years and all our 15kg outfits were single speed...the tyrnos reels are very good reels and you will have no problems...rick

• Thanks 1

I had a physical look at the Tyrnos 30 and 20 yesterday.  Definitely don’t need One the size of the 30 and the 20 is nearly the same size. 

Does anyone know anything about the Tyrnos 16. It’s capabilities and how does it compare in size to the 20

In the early days when Penn Internationals were the leader in game fishing reels, anglers tended to use a 30 for fishing 20lb line, a 50 for 30 and an 80 for 50. This was definitely true for the land based game guys who needed the extra line capacity. I recently purchased a Tyrnos 30 2 speed and have rigged it with 15kg mono. I once fought a (estimated) 100kg + yellowfin for 3 1/2 hours on 10kg on a star drag reel, no gimbal or harness, and being able to switch speeds when it went deep might have helped me boat it (lost it when I had the double on the reel ?).

I haven’t used the Tyrnos 30 yet but it will be used this season. I couldn’t fault the price or service I got from Fishraider sponsor, DINGA!