Electronic Nav Charts

clutch

Anyone familiar with C-maps....for the maritime marine

and any opinions....?

Point the curser anywhere on the screen ( a submerged reef for example ) and it gives you the GPS coordinates

Edited by clutch

Anyone familiar with C-Map 93....for the maritime marine

and any opinions....?

Point the curser anywhere on the screen ( a submerged reef for example ) and it gives you the GPS coordinates

Im not familiar wiith the C-Map systems, but it sounds similar to the bluemaps that I got for my Garmin GPS

If its anything like this...then it's is gold..

I sit at home and mark down the ledges/holes and upload them to the GPS, then I go out and explore them and its pretty spot on.

The only interesting thing I have noticed is it can be a bit off when it comes to pinpointing wreaks,(Some are there and some are not) but when it comes to ledges/pinnicles its pretty spot on.

Hope this helps..

Im not familiar wiith the C-Map systems, but it sounds similar to the bluemaps that I got for my Garmin GPS

If its anything like this...then it's is gold..

I sit at home and mark down the ledges/holes and upload them to the GPS, then I go out and explore them and its pretty spot on.

The only interesting thing I have noticed is it can be a bit off when it comes to pinpointing wreaks,(Some are there and some are not) but when it comes to ledges/pinnicles its pretty spot on.

Hope this helps..

Whoa there Coach!

tell me more. I have a Garmin GPS. What are these Bluemaps you refer to. This sounds very, very interesting. Is there a particular model of garmin or what?

Please help me , this may be what I have been looking for.

Cheers

Pete

ok... I have a GPSMAP 60CS, its the handheld with a plotter function in it.

Basically, the garmins, come with the basic software loaded in them with not much detail (blue means water, brown means land type of thing). The "Base Maps" are also not calibrated as well which is a pain.

Now..I might be a bit sketcky here as its been a while since i got it...

but there are two types of maps you can get two depending on the type of GPS.(For the current garmins)

Blue Maps- were software loaded maps that you upladed from your PC (An add on to the basic Garmin software you would have got)

C-maps.. I think are memory stick type of maps, that slide into the unit itself.

Basically, they work the same and put marine chart data into your GPS.. the detail goes down to contour level, navigation aids, wreaks etc etc.. but it doesn't show you the type of bottom.

I sit at home, plot "interesting points" and now make a habit of exploring one new spot everytime i go out.

Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt!!!

I keep the waypoint data on my system at home as a backup to the GPS unit.. but if your in the city, then I can bring my handheld into town (I work just near town hall) and show you how much detail you get ( its the same data as on the computer... just a smaller screen)

from Memory the bluechart was around $300.00 which isn't cheap.. but i recon its paid itself off by now!!!

One other thing, is GPS Datums..

now i again.. .I am a little sketchy on this one..

but you should make sure your Datum setting (on all good GPS's) is set to the Australian standard (if your in Australia).. I think its WGS 84 or something that sounds like that.

having a different Datum can put you out between 10 and 220 Metres.

If you use the correct Datum, then your charts will be configured for that region and also.. if you ever share GPS spots with each other, then you will have the same marks and not end up miles apart!!! (so long as you all use the corect/same Datums)

Again, I dont know the exact details of all this, and I apoligize if I have got it dramatically wrong.. But this was my understanding that i got when I started playing with the things.

Cheers

Coach

Coach, I PM ed you after your first reply to this post as I thought nobody else seemed to be interested in this subject, however I think that its the cats meow :thumbup: and just thought I was the last to cotton on :wacko:

I'm not sure what your image looks like on the PC but telcobroker put up a post yesterday about drifting between Juno and Flint and Steel and I'm able to look it up and see that its fairly shallow through there, although it does get a bit deeper near Middle Head and just off Flint and Steel Point theres a drop to 20 metres

Also the Sth West of Lion Is. has a steep drop off..................and I can point to anything and get the GPS coordinates................anywhere

Anyone familiar with C-maps....for the maritime marine

and any opinions....?

i have a raymarnie with c map i find it very close the mark

my c map cover from sydney to lakes in vic

i have a raymarnie with c map i find it very close the mark

my c map cover from sydney to lakes in vic

Digger, you buy cartridges for different areas I take it?

How much are they and how big an area?

Cheers

all cards relating to sea maps are expensive. ive got a navionics card for my chartplotter and it was $400 but its the whole esat coast of australia from cape york to tassie and if you even put near your computer it has a copy gaurd which erases all data from your card so dont try to look at it on your computer as a mate did and ending up costing him another 100 to get it reloaded.but 400 is a good investment if your fishing in a new spot and can instantly find some good ground close to you.mine a eagle fish elite and was only 700 (from america) and over here there1200 so do a bit of looking and youll find a good cheap plotter as its a bit cheaper than the garmin(but not as many features).

Coach, I PM ed you after your first reply to this post as I thought nobody else seemed to be interested in this subject, however I think that its the cats meow :thumbup: and just thought I was the last to cotton on :wacko:

I'm not sure what your image looks like on the PC but telcobroker put up a post yesterday about drifting between Juno and Flint and Steel and I'm able to look it up and see that its fairly shallow through there, although it does get a bit deeper near Middle Head and just off Flint and Steel Point theres a drop to 20 metres

Also the Sth West of Lion Is. has a steep drop off..................and I can point to anything and get the GPS coordinates................anywhere

Clutch:

I dont know what the "Cat's Meow" is excatly.. but i think its good...

Sounds like you bought the software already...

The drop off at Flint and Steel is a prettty well known reef over here..

when its good it great..

when it bad....well its "not the Cats Meow!!!"

Captain Pugwash:

PM me if you want me to bring my GPS into the city tomorrow as I have a quiet day and wont be doing any work... I will have to take an IOU on the beer though as I have to get hom earlyish and get the boat ready!!!

All:

I will see if I can post up some pics over the weekend of the types of images I get... this probably show the best detail of whhat I am trying to describe... Not 100% sure though if I can do this as my home computer just caught the "Clap" and i have to get the anitvirus up to speed!!!

Digger, you buy cartridges for different areas I take it?

How much are they and how big an area?

Cheers

if you look at bias,they have the prices.

the one which i have is standard port jackson to lakes entrance @$259

it shows all point, depht. reefs and danger points

Hey Clutch, re: nautical maps. Have you got a map on your computer with co-ords/contours etc for the Hawkesbury area?? Where did you get it (or is it for your plotter?), If not I'd love a copy/link :biggrin2:

...yeah its for my plotter...........I'll PM you soon to be more specific Mate :thumbup: