Dolphin Fish Mahi Mahi

kingfishaholic

Hey Guys, it's that time of the year again, the peak of summer and the dolphin fish should be out in force off sydney! Can we share some info, and help each other out regarding where they have been, any locations of fish traps/lobster traps located etc. Law of life, when you give, you get more, legends! 

Good luck with that request! i will make the following observation though- last Sat there were about 15 boats on the Nth Syd FAD- catching undersize dollies, 3 km's away at the waverider  there were 2 boats catching undersize dollies, and later there were no boats catching undersize dollies - So all I can suggest is go for a drive and have a look- its amazing how some folk stick to a spot like the nearly useless Nth Syd FAD when 2 km away there is a better spot with much less traffic- anyway thats the only spot im giving up for free!

• Like 1

The fish are there if you can filter through the small ones, water at Terrigal Fad was only 22, IMO I prefer water temp to be 23.5+, we still managed a few legals. Get there early before all the crowds and you should score a few, only way to get info is to head out there yourself your not going to catch them sitting on the lounge

5 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Good luck with that request! i will make the following observation though- last Sat there were about 15 boats on the Nth Syd FAD- catching undersize dollies, 3 km's away at the waverider  there were 2 boats catching undersize dollies, and later there were no boats catching undersize dollies - So all I can suggest is go for a drive and have a look- its amazing how some folk stick to a spot like the nearly useless Nth Syd FAD when 2 km away there is a better spot with much less traffic- anyway thats the only spot im giving up for free!

Hi Paddy,

Do you mean the Sydney Harbour FAD which is near the Dee Why waverider?

Don't think there is a waverider near the Sydney North FAD. I don't want raiders searching all day for something that isn't there.

Brew

They have been in my area (Narooma) for the past few weeks as well as further south of Bermagui. They are on the fad down here as well as most trap buoys.

Ive been seeing some 20kg+ models on Facebook from the Sydney area, my guess would be they should be as thick up there as down here so try any fads and trap buoys. Even the inshore trap up your way has been producing, only trouble is other boats are hitting it hard. This isn't a bad thing as many boat owners fight to keep close to the marker but the biggest dollies are often roaming away from all those smaller fish. 

The ones we've been getting have fallen to small dark coloured skirts, where last year we caught most on shallow white redhead xraps. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brew said:

Hi Paddy,

Do you mean the Sydney Harbour FAD which is near the Dee Why waverider?

Don't think there is a waverider near the Sydney North FAD. I don't want raiders searching all day for something that isn't there.

Brew

Yep thats the one

I went out on the 5th of Jan to the Port Hacking FAD and caught two dollies 68cm and 64cm on live squid caught earlier that morning. And also one 60cm model on a stickbait that was released. I didn't see any other boats or spearos get anything while we were out there. Probably 6 boats at the start and maybe got up to 8 or 9 before we left.

11 hours ago, Stu-SP said:

I went out on the 5th of Jan to the Port Hacking FAD and caught two dollies 68cm and 64cm on live squid caught earlier that morning. And also one 60cm model on a stickbait that was released. I didn't see any other boats or spearos get anything while we were out there. Probably 6 boats at the start and maybe got up to 8 or 9 before we left.

Dollies can be like that- generally a good tactic is to start the day with lures and when the fish wise up (which they will with boat traffic etc) then switch to your livies- I reckon when a boat turns up with livies and starts fishing them first it will shut the lure bite down, just use yakkas next time- catching live squid to catch a couple of barely legal rat dollies is a bit too much effort for my mind!