Knottable wire leader

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Any suggestions? Looking at .12mm diameter stainless in the silver(bright) colour. The only stuff I could find costs nearly $40 for 5 metres!

what are you using it for luke..may help with advice...I personally wouldn't use shiny stainless for fishing..maybe lure making..but other than that I stick to mason brown single strand..spotties 27lb...Spanish you can go as heavy as you want...there is also some supple knottable wire available/Kevlar based....or black coated wire you knot twist then melt together..any others ???

Guest Guest123456789
9 hours ago, JonD said:

The stuff I use on mackerel and wahoo etc is a brown single strand which is normally sold in most tackle stores. Pretty certain 64lb is the heaviest I use but in all honesty I rarely use it wire.

Hi Jon, is that knottable or do you need crimps, pliers etc.

8 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

what are you using it for luke..may help with advice...I personally wouldn't use shiny stainless for fishing..maybe lure making..but other than that I stick to mason brown single strand..spotties 27lb...Spanish you can go as heavy as you want...there is also some supple knottable wire available/Kevlar based....or black coated wire you knot twist then melt together..any others ???

Hi Rick, I have a requirement where it’s helpful to have the properties of knottable wire. It’s a very different material to mono, Fluoro or wire you need to tools to tie off. 

I can use other leader materials but I really like wire for his type of application. Haven’t had any issue with the silver spooking the fish. In fact I think it would be harder to spot because it’s so thin. The only problem I have is with price, it’s too expensive, I’d rather just use mono unless I can find what I’m after that’s cheaper.

the single strand wire we both mentioned is tied by hand or small long nose pliers..form loop  three  haywire twists  then 5 or 6 wraps tight together called barrel rolls..my wire is up the coast in my boat but will see if I can find some here tmrw and take foto of tie...rick

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, Brew said:

Hi Luke,

You can get graphite knottable steel leader. Mine is 15kg. 5 metres was $19. 

If you want the bait shop where I got it shoot me a PM and you can ring them to see if they still stock it. 

Brew

Thanks Brew, what brand is it? I’m currently looking at surflon and knot 2 kinky