St George’s Basin

The Rev

Hi fellow Raiders

I am down staying at Vincentia in Jervis Bay for my annual holidays and will be doing some boat fishing in the bay as well as St George’s basin. I went out today in the basin from Erowal bay boat ramp but had no luck and was after some tips on where to fish. In particular, what is the best way to fish the artificial reefs in the basin along with tips for snapper, tailor, bream and flathead. Any help would be great.  I fish out of a 4.2m Quintrex renegade 

i have tried to read what has already been posted on Fishraider.  

cheers in advance

the rev (Bruce)

Hi Bruce.  I fished the Basin 2 weekends ago for 2 1/2 days while fishing the ANSA Nowra Convention and between 2 boats we caught 2 bream, 2 just legal snapper and 2 small flathead. Despite recent reports that it was fishing well I have never seen the Basin so dead.  I don't consider myself a mug as I have won the estuary section of this comp 7 times with flathead between 3 and 5.64kg all on 1kg pretest line so I think it's not fishing to its usual standard.  Flaties usually congregate more in one area down there but I couldn't find them even with advice from locals.  On the 2nd day I did get 1 good run from a big one which dropped the bait and also hooked a good one that pulled the hook after a 20 metre run.

Sorry I couldn't help.  Good luck.  Ron

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, campr said:

Hi Bruce.  I fished the Basin 2 weekends ago for 2 1/2 days while fishing the ANSA Nowra Convention and between 2 boats we caught 2 bream, 2 just legal snapper and 2 small flathead. Despite recent reports that it was fishing well I have never seen the Basin so dead.  I don't consider myself a mug as I have won the estuary section of this comp 7 times with flathead between 3 and 5.64kg all on 1kg pretest line so I think it's not fishing to its usual standard.  Flaties usually congregate more in one area down there but I couldn't find them even with advice from locals.  On the 2nd day I did get 1 good run from a big one which dropped the bait and also hooked a good one that pulled the hook after a 20 metre run.

Hi Ron - that is very interesting 

i will keep trying and I’ll let you know how I go

thanks for the reply 

Bruce

Hi Bruce

I have fished the Basin a few times for mixed results, sometimes it fires and other times I'm just soaking baits and listening to the radio.

I launch from Erowal ramp as well, usually I head over towards Bream Point and drift just of the weed beds there for good sized flatties, a mate scored a good sized snapper there at 55cm, but we think that was just a one off. I did get my PB of 97cm flathead there as well.

I burley pretty hard if there is no bites with chicken pellet, bread, minced Pilchard and a dash of tuna oil, this brings the picker but also decent bream and tailor.

If the basin is quiet, I go the bay but don't have much luck in the bay as I have only fished it 2 or 3 times properly.

48 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi Bruce

I have fished the Basin a few times for mixed results, sometimes it fires and other times I'm just soaking baits and listening to the radio.

I launch from Erowal ramp as well, usually I head over towards Bream Point and drift just of the weed beds there for good sized flatties, a mate scored a good sized snapper there at 55cm, but we think that was just a one off. I did get my PB of 97cm flathead there as well.

I burley pretty hard if there is no bites with chicken pellet, bread, minced Pilchard and a dash of tuna oil, this brings the picker but also decent bream and tailor.

If the basin is quiet, I go the bay but don't have much luck in the bay as I have only fished it 2 or 3 times properly.

Thanks Jeff - I will give a try

cheers

Bruce

50 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi Bruce

Ps - is Bream point near the caravan park at Bream beach ?

Yes actually past Bream Beach (Not Bream Point) nearly at Wrights Beach, heading away from the ramp I go left (South / East) and there is a wide bay which comes to a small point, I drift from there back North east towards the caravan park, just outside the weed.

On 28/02/2018 at 4:31 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Yes actually past Bream Beach (Not Bream Point) nearly at Wrights Beach, heading away from the ramp I go left (South / East) and there is a wide bay which comes to a small point, I drift from there back North east towards the caravan park, just outside the weed.

Hi Jeff

I tried the places you mentioned yesterday and had no luck. Not to worry – I was in at a fishing store in Nowra today and spoke with one of the guys who fishes all the professional comps down here. He said it has been one of the toughest years fishing in the Basin that they have known  so it’s not just me! Many thanks for your information. Bruce

On 28/02/2018 at 11:07 AM, campr said:

On 28/02/2018 at 11:07 AM, campr said:

Hi Ron

i tried again  yesterday and same story – no flathead! I spoke with one of the guys Who fishes in the comps at the Complete Angler fishing store in Nowra today and he said something very similar to your comments. He reckons it’s been one of the toughest years fishing in the basin that people can remember. He thought the lack of rain  has had a big impact . Many thanks for getting in touch with me. Bruce