Port Stephens tips

Layton

Depends on what your targeting? 

At the moment, whiting would be a shot chasing small poppers at corlette. Or maybe some shallow divers at any of the beaches on the eastern side of the bay. 

On sps, a 1/8 jig with a 100mm squidgy wriggler bloodworm would be the go with a slow retrieve. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Hi Layton. Welcome to Fishraider. There’s a lot of posts about Port Stephens here... the search function will find you a lot of useful information, including the above thread from the fishing mayor of Port Stephens, Scratchie.

Are you land based or do you have a boat? You can get bream, flathead and whiting in Salamander Bay from the beach or in a boat. Squid too. Just keep out of the sanctuary zone. You can do OK from Salamander Shores jetty. How long are you up for?

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Depends on what your targeting? 

At the moment, whiting would be a shot chasing small poppers at corlette. Or maybe some shallow divers at any of the beaches on the eastern side of the bay. 

On sps, a 1/8 jig with a 100mm squidgy wriggler bloodworm would be the go with a slow retrieve. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks mate will definitely try that ?

22 minutes ago, Layton said:

Staying for 4 nights mate. Would love to land a flathead on a lure and will be land based squid sounds good to 

OK. You should be able to manage a lizard. You’ve got 2 young boys? If you want to soak a bait, bring a yabby pump and take them nipper pumping at Corlette, where Foreshore Drive meets Sandy Point Road. They’ll have a ball picking up nippers and catching soldier crabs. Then you can convert them to fish later on. ? One thing I like to do when friends visit with young kids is take them to Fly Point around high tide. Take some berley pellets or similar (they have signs asking you not to use bread) and feed the fish. The bream will come right up to your ankles. Bigger kids (like me) can snorkel - it’s amazing watching mullet, bream, flathead, whiting and luderick in their natural environment. We have friends/family coming the next weekend and we’ll be doing that, for sure Hope the water’s still warm... I don’t think I can fit back into my wetsuit yet! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1