Want to buy a boat but need some info first

smc2010

Hi raiders so I'm looking to buy a boat for fish the harbour, botany port hacking etc what should I be looking for? Budget of about 5000$ would my budget get me something suitable for outside harbour etc. I want something safe tho not a ball af dirt. I have had lake boats at home for fishing and  tinnys for hunting so I do have a small bit of experience on water. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the essential do's and don't for safety maintenance and so on. My main reason for not having one is I live in a unit in Waterloo/zetland and have nowhere to keep one as underground car park is all I have availabil and boat would need more than the single car space designated. So are there storage places you can leave boats and the likes or do I need to join a boat club that provides me to a parking place. I'm sure a lot of people have encountered this issue. And last of all when I do solve this problem I happily can take somebody out fishing no cost in return for just basic knowledge of good boating/fishing ethics and safety on the water. Any help or tips would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking you time to read this. 

Sean.

A lot to consider there.

I think at around 5k a small second hand alloy boat or tinny is the only thing that’s going to give you a chance at having some reliabiabilty and minimal dramas.

Ad for parking is putting the boat in your parking spot an option and parking the car in the street?   Or find a spot consistently empty in the complex and approach the owner to rent it off him. 

2 hours ago, Welster said:

A lot to consider there.

I think at around 5k a small second hand alloy boat or tinny is the only thing that’s going to give you a chance at having some reliabiabilty and minimal dramas.

Ad for parking is putting the boat in your parking spot an option and parking the car in the street?   Or find a spot consistently empty in the complex and approach the owner to rent it off him. 

I can use apartments underground Parking but only the dimensions of as assigned car parking space can't take up any more room as for street parking I don't know of any that is close and safe. But thank you for your input 

Old saying best boat is a mates boat, Joining your local fishing club is a good way to start. You might consider a Yak it wont get you to the shelf but I have seen them outside the heads. There are  some boat rentals available that you can try to make sure its your thing. Storage will be your problem councils are cracking down on street usage. I know a guy who lives in a flat and leaves his 6mtr center console on a farm like property at terry hills for a fee but he fishes 200 days a year and some times leaves it at a marina for more cost.

Good luck

I bit the bullet and bought a new rig 4.3 runabout keep it in the garage and car in the driveway 18 months later trying to work out how I can get a bigger boat, where will I keep it and can I afford the upkeep e.g. six monthly service, running cost, unexpected things that beginners do I got a cover for the motor at some ridiculous price, I have lost 3 anchors broke a hinge on my windscreen panel, had the trailer lighting rewired, installed some rod holders, need a reef anchor, sea anchor, deck lighting, would like a drive on trailer, and Bimini I could stand under. Its a great hobby but a demanding mistress and thats just the boat not to mention fishing tackle!

• Like 1