Stickbait advice

Psycho fisho

Hi guys 

As the salmon season is fast approaching l have been preparing all my gear for the season any way this year l want to give stick baits and other hard body lures a shot my question is does using snap swivels effect the way the lure swims should l just tie the Uni straight to the lure or is there other better methods for attaching lures to your leader like using a swivel to a split ring? 

Thanks in advance

Probably the best method is to attach your leader to the tow point of the lure (not the split ring) using a loop knot. However, that can be a bit slow changing lures, so often people compromise by using quality snap swivels. I never attach either line or snap swivel directly to a split ring...they can open up with a fish shaking vigorously on the end of a lure. That's my 2 bobs worth. No doubt others will have their preference. Cheers, bn

G'day Psycho fisho ... UPDATE. A local fishing guru highly recommends MUSTAD FAST TACH (fast attach) joining clips for Murray Cod fishing. Haven't used them personally but if he says they're ok then they are. Wouldn't cost you much to try them. Let me know if you do and how they go. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Psycho fisho ... UPDATE. A local fishing guru highly recommends MUSTAD FAST TACH (fast attach) joining clips for Murray Cod fishing. Haven't used them personally but if he says they're ok then they are. Wouldn't cost you much to try them. Let me know if you do and how they go. Cheers, bn

This. 

I've been using Norman speed clips and while they're good, the double thick wire is too thick for some tow points and I'm forced to use a split ring. They can also be a pain to open for changing lures if you have wet or fishy fingers. Not ideal, but still beats re-tying.

There's also a product made by Decoy called a Spiral Snap that's very similar to the Mustad Fastach.

First time I see either one available I'm going to be trying them out. 

On 13/03/2018 at 8:05 AM, big Neil said:

Thanks Neil. Im going to keep an eye out for those Mustad Fast Tach clips. Im a frequent lure changer so don’t like mucking around with loop knots. I’ve been experiencing a lot of snaps coming undone lately. Don’t know if it’s the swivels or I’m just getting senile and forgetting to close them back up properly! ??

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Just go:

Leader:solid ring:split ring:lure

Use split ring pliers to change lures. Its pretty quick to swap lures, strong and not too bulky. No knots to tie when changing lures.

Dont tie leader straight to split ring as the sharp edges can break knots.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

This. 

I've been using Norman speed clips and while they're good, the double thick wire is too thick for some tow points and I'm forced to use a split ring. They can also be a pain to open for changing lures if you have wet or fishy fingers. Not ideal, but still beats re-tying.

There's also a product made by Decoy called a Spiral Snap that's very similar to the Mustad Fastach.

First time I see either one available I'm going to be trying them out. 

Hi Mainframe James. Check out the video on Youtube     robbiefishing   best way to attach lures to leader or something like that.  A point that he makes is that 100 lb Mustad Fastach is thin gauge and doesn't impact on the action of lures. bn

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Mainframe James. Check out the video on Youtube     robbiefishing   best way to attach lures to leader or something like that.  A point that he makes is that 100 lb Mustad Fastach is thin gauge and doesn't impact on the action of lures. bn

Nice. That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks mate.