Abu 10000CL

cossie

Hi

wondering if any raiders have used an Abu 10000? just looking for info re  casting large slab baits for Jew,shark etc

have no troubles with casting 7000 models. Thinking of using it with a custom FSU 5120

How does sizing compare to a 7000 series

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

They're a bit bigger than the 7000, but are a great reel. Like Rick I used the same combo & caught alot of good fish on it.

Hi Jewhunter/Rick 

Thanks for replies. Have an option in 9000CL also. I assume similar to 10000?

thanks Cossie

I'd say so, just a bit smaller & less line capacity. My 10000 was an automatic 2 speed & they are hard to find these days.

I bent the main shaft locking up on a big king years ago & couldn't get a replacement part for it. One of my all time fave reels that I've owned.

The 9000 will cast a bit better due to it's smaller and lighter spool. It is a narrow spool version of the 10000. It depends how much you need in line capacity. Actually the 7000 is big enough for jewfish as is quite a large reel for beach fishing. Sharks might be a different matter though.

Actually the drag gets tighter as the line loads gets smaller (more spool revolutions for the same length of line removed). The drag on these reels is not as good as modern reels. 

The 9000 was the favourite of snapper fishermen off the rocks. It casts well with a small bait and a 4 oz snapper lead. 

12 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Actually the drag gets tighter as the line loads gets smaller (more spool revolutions for the same length of line removed). The drag on these reels is not as good as modern reels. 

The 9000 was the favourite of snapper fishermen off the rocks. It casts well with a small bait and a 4 oz snapper lead. 

It was when I upgraded the drag to carbon washes & added an extra stack. Mmm, maybe that's why I bent the main shaft!! Haha!