Sydney Kings a little slow, but Squid have picked up

bojulabah

Hi Raiders,

the Kings in Sydney Harbour have been a little slow over past few weeks - somewhat spasmodic, but squid have really picked up in size and number.

I went out with a fellow raider last Wed (Duncan) and we fished for 30-40minutes and boated 6 nice squid, mostly green eyes (calamari), but interestingly there were 2 arrow squid with them.

We boated 6 Kings, 2 keepers, all 62-65cm. 

It was really good to get out and share with a fellow raider.

bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob, did you catch the Kings by using the squid for live bait, or did they go home  (with the Kings) for the table? One day I'll manage to get out catching squid and using them or yakkas for Kingfish...hopefully, this year. Is there a time of year when it's better for catching Kingfish in Sydney Harbour? Cheers, bn

Hey big Neil,

I keep most of the Squid for bait, if big calamari (they are getting bigger as winter progresses) I use the head and flaps for bait and take the canopy for eating.

the best bait is actually the guts including the ink sac.

As winter approaches they move to the offshore reefs (12 mile, the Peak, Longie) and only a few stay in the harbour, but these are often stockers. I’ve also caught Cobia in autumn / winter live baiting for kings.

bob

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bojulabah said:

Hey big Neil,

I keep most of the Squid for bait, if big calamari (they are getting bigger as winter progresses) I use the head and flaps for bait and take the canopy for eating.

the best bait is actually the guts including the ink sac.

As winter approaches they move to the offshore reefs (12 mile, the Peak, Longie) and only a few stay in the harbour, but these are often stockers. I’ve also caught Cobia in autumn / winter live baiting for kings.

bob

What is the kingfishing with live bait like in September? I may be coming to Sydney Aug /Sept and have the chance to try it. Cheers, bn