Rapala X Rap Magnum 20 / 30 Info

fishii

Hi All 

I have a few questions on the Rapala X Rap Magnum 20 or 30 lures  as I haven't used lures before.

1. What lb line should I use?

2. Are they better for casting or trolling?

3. Is it better to tie directly to line or use a snap or connect line to split rings.

Line class will depend on what fish you are targeting. I use 25lb when trolling thr cliffs for bonito salmon etc and will go up to 60-80 pound when trolling offshore during summer

they are not designed for casting in my opinion and they dont have the rear weight so iv only ever used them in trolling

They usually come with a built in high strength split ring... i would tie straight onto the split ring as i find snapper swivels will change the way the lure behaves in the water 

I have a different opinion for you! I love XRaps and a Magnum 15 has a permanent place in my boat.  I troll the washes a lot for bonito, tailor and salmon. I admit that I seem to fish lighter than many others here. I troll 6kg mono, with a plaited double and wind-on mono leader to a quality ball bearing snap swivel, which I clip straight to the split ring on the lure. 6kg is plenty for the bonito, IMO. I’m hoping to test it out soon on Mack tuna and longtail. I reckon they’ll be fun but I can step it up to the 15kg (mono) game outfit with the full length double and heavier wind on leader if necessary, or if targeting kings etc. I don’t like to tie to a split ring as I feel there is a risk of the knot wearing on the ring. Just don’t go too big on the snap swivel and make sure you use good quality ball bearing swivels for trolling. I currently tie my swivels on to the leader but I am thinking about switching to crimps, particularly for the heavier leaders.

I do want to target bonnies on, say, 3kg line class but reckon I might be tempting fate trolling XRaps close to the washes!

Edited by Berleyguts