Foxxy

Planning a trip from Sydney up to the Tweed for a weekend and keen to bring my rods up as check-in luggage. I have a couple of rods, the largest being a 1pce 7'2", and I'm looking to purchase a sturdy rod case (not really interested in DIY). I've been told about the Carmate but I can't find anywhere to buy it. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Cheers

Plano do a great rod tube that extends to over 8 ft. Sturdy and lockable, I ve been using mine for over 15 years.

Beware which airline you use, eg Jetstar has no bulk hold so nothing over 2 meters, everything has to fit into baggage containers.

Smaller planes can be difficult, it depends how cooperative the pilot is. I've had my tube lying on the floor under seats in a twin Otter to the outer Solomon Islands. Rods made it OK but my luggage didn't show up.

• Sad 1

Check the forum sponsor Dinga website. They used to have travel rod tubes at very reasonable price, sometimes even throwing them in for free when buying the rods from them + free delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Received a few PMs from people telling me to opt for a nature boys case so I will be getting one of those despite the hefty price. 

On 5/5/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ryder said:

Beware which airline you use, eg Jetstar has no bulk hold so nothing over 2 meters, everything has to fit into baggage containers.

Jetstar have up to 2.3m on A320 and A321 flights now but thanks for the pointer!