Early morning bottom bash

Peter Nelson

Went out early this morning at Port Stephens for a quick bottom bash as I had some appointments this afternoon.

Weather was ok with sight breeze from the north west.

Found a few fish and left them biting as I had to get home .

Got a couple of Trag, Perlies, small snapper and bonito.

Found skinning the Trag a bit difficult as its so soft. Worked out my technique by the time I did the last one.

Photos of fish and smoked bonito i did up yesterday.

IMAG2244.jpg

IMAG2243.jpg

IMAG2242_1.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice feed, Peter. How’d you smoke the bonito? What kind of smoker do you have?

I’ve got a charmate

soaked it it a brine solution(salt, brown sugar and water) for about 6hrs. Not sure how long I should do this step for as everything I read says something different.

just used heat beads and threw some wet hickory chips in at the start.

i think it was in there for 1.5  - 2hrs and was still moist inside. Once it cooled down it firmed up more. Kids love it which means I need to do double the amount next time.

Im going to mix a bit up make a smoked fish dip.

Edited by Peter Nelson
Wrong word used
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

I’ve got a charmate

soaked it it a brine solution(salt, brown sugar and water) for about 6hrs. Not sure how long I should do this step for as everything I read says something different.

just used heat beads and threw some wet hickory chips in at the start.

i think it was in there for 1.5  - 2hrs and was still moist inside. Once it cooled down it firmed up more. Kids love it which means I need to do double the amount next time.

Im going to mix a bit up make a smoked fish dip.

Sounds great. I’ll try it in the Chargriller with the offset smoker box. I’ve had it as a dip before. Yummo!

11 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Hi Peter, just noticed you said youve got a charmate- thinking of getting one- can you get a "cold" smoke on the fish or is it still a hot smoke?

Still a hot smoke I guess due to the food being directly above the heat source, there are 2 heights which you can smoke at.

I used to have a smaller rectangular   one years ago and that smoked very quick compared to this one.

I guess you could limit the amount of heat beads or charcoal to reduce the heat to get more of a cold smoke.