Winter fishing tactics

SickWolf

Hey guys hope you are all having a great weekend fishing just wondering what fish i can get in winter. Heard there are big bream and trevally about but are techniques used to catch them different? i know in winter flathead get less active but are there are special winter things to do?

sleep in.... let the day warm up a bit before you start fishing and focus more on fishing the arvo session bream bite just as well in winter ust slow things down a little I use more slow and subtle twitches with hardbodies and crab style lures are also very effective cast up against pylons in the winter

• Like 2

Some good fishing to be had in the bay some days are quiet though.   Burley up for Trevally, bream, Squire at times particularly after rough weather outside.

Outside it’s snapper and flatty time.  Also a good time of year to target squid inside and out.  

There’s some beautiful sunny days to be had with light westerlies that time of year. 

Edited by Welster

36 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

sleep in.... let the day warm up a bit before you start fishing and focus more on fishing the arvo session bream bite just as well in winter ust slow things down a little I use more slow and subtle twitches with hardbodies and crab style lures are also very effective cast up against pylons in the winter

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I'll pretty much only fish dusk or dawn when possible, and although I prefer fishing early from late autumn to early spring you're really much better off going for a dusk session, because in the morning it's a bit too cold and the fish haven't woken up yet. Usually in winter when I'm lure fishing I'll also move around a lot more, instead of spending more time focusing on single areas like I would in summer. That's because fish aren't on the prowl as much and it's harder to make them come to the lure, so by covering more area there is more chance of stumbling upon a fish. I'll also fish shallower areas where the water is warmer rather than deeper holes.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shorts, ocean, beach, outdoor, water and natureWinter is not here yet got this of the beach on soft plastic also got a flatie which are on the chew now usually fish out of a boat but friday was such a nice day p.s Dee Why beach

Edited by blaxland

Autumn/Winter is the best time of the year for chasing Salmon, Tailor, Bream and Mulloway off the beach IMO.

Rocks are also good with Luderick and Drummer being main targets.

I find estuary fishing slows down a little so i target beach and rocks this time of year and find it to be more productive.

• Like 1