Stradic Ci4+ - Dropped in sand and water

Spool

Hey guys,

Been having a really bad day. Today I dropped my Stradic Ci4+ in the water at the beach left submerged for about 15 seconds and then got sand all over it. I just recently bought this reel a month ago aswell. Do you rekon it will be alright with some cleaning?

1) Also when I was pulling apart trying to clean I realized the drag noise does not click. Does anyone know how to fix this? I will post a picture.

2) And does anyone know how to open the bottom for cleaning it has some sand stuck inside. Also will include picture.

PICTURE LINK: https://m.imgur.com/a/UVIT3vg

3) Also if I take to Shimano how much would it cost for servicing and how long would it take? And for example if my reel got really damaged from water could they fix it to working order again replacing all the parts etc like a rebuild?

Thanks hope can help me out been really stressed out that my reel won’t ever be the same.

The clicker is under the drag cap. Unwind until you can pull it off. No doubt salt has crusted over and stopped it’s movement. 

A lot of local tackle stores will overhaul a reel with quick turn around. I would not send to Shimano. 

Reel should be fine if you get a Pro to clean it out for you. Don’t try yourself if you have never taken a reel apart before. 

The only problem is the drag not making noise. It is silent. Can someone please tell me how to fix it?

Other than that there everything seems to work fine. But under the rotor there is sand stuck in the gap as the pictures I have posted. All I need to do is take the rotor off to access the gap to take the sand out. Just want to clean it. Does anyone know how I can access the gap underneath the rotor? 

If all fails then I would take it to the shop for servicing but I would want to try cleaning it first since nothing major besides the drag click and sand that needs cleaning before it starts to eat it’s way.

Personally I would take recurve's advice and take it to someone to have it fully stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt. If there is that much sand under the rotor its most likely elsewhere, plus salt crystals can destroy bearings and other moving parts. If you're not confident to do a total strip down yourself don't risk ruining such a good reel.

Sounds like your spool clicker is the culprit. If you cant move it and see it spring back with your finger, its either corrosion or the return spring causing the problem.

If you're keen on taking off the rotor you're going to need a 0.9mm hex key. Take the spool off the reel and on the shaft where spool sits you can see the tiny hex screw on the left side. Remove this and the spool support parts along with the black drag clicker. Undo that nut sitting directly on the rotor and the rotor should slide straight off.

Use your exploded parts diagram as a reference and pay particular attention to the sequence the parts come off. Lay them out in order to help knowing how they go back on and even take photos as you go to help.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Hey Spool,

I had my two reels serviced at Shimano about a year ago. I took them there myself to save $16 postage. They did a great job. Here's a link for info. I also had one done at the local tackle shop but I wasn't happy with them, that's why  I went to Shimano the next time.  I think tackle shops can be a bit hit and miss with service ie. some good and some bad

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/Service_centre.html

Give them a all  if you need more info.

cheers

Richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

I wash all my gear in saltaway, even a slightly warm solution of wetsuit wash should remove any salt within. Personaly I've had reels go overboard and in the sand and never sent them away for repair, infact I pulled one light spin outfit from the sea floor two years ago covered in marine growth that I just cleaned and soaked in saltaway and still use the reel now.

• Like 1

If you are mechanically minded- no worries BUT- that reel needs to be stripped and dried and all grease removed- the grease will hold salt and eventually cause corrosion- so depending on your abilities either do it yourself- Saltaway will help with the salt in the reel as Jon said, but if you are not mechanically minded then send to Shimano- they have a great service dept.

I would send it to shimano, you could start with a phone call to them, ask for the fishing repairs/service department. They used to allow walk ins but these days may not want to talk to you direct as a walk in because you are not a shop. If you have a regular shop that you have a relationship with that sell shimano then they will have a relationship with a rep who can pick it up and drop it off to/from shop and shimano. Don't quote me but i think it is about $20 plus parts for a spin reel to be serviced and you know it will be done correctly then.

Hi Spool,

Highly recommend getting it serviced. There are components inside (such as bearings) which can rust and others (gears) which can be damaged by sand. At the moment you are probably just looking at a quick clean and re-lube but if there is water damage and as a result down the track you have to start replacing parts then it will leave you even more upset and a with a bigger hole in your wallet. A stitch in time.....

The service team at Shimano (Dunphy sports) in Taren point are fantastic and looked after me for years as a walk in customer when I used to work in the area. Your local tackle shop will also likely have someone they can use for a clean/service or they can forward it to Shimano.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

On 11/05/2018 at 8:02 AM, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hey Spool,

I had my two reels serviced at Shimano about a year ago. I took them there myself to save $16 postage. They did a great job. Here's a link for info. I also had one done at the local tackle shop but I wasn't happy with them, that's why  I went to Shimano the next time.  I think tackle shops can be a bit hit and miss with service ie. some good and some bad

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/Service_centre.html

Give them a all  if you need more info.

cheers

Richard

Thanks. I will send it in to Shimano. If I send it in how long will it take for them to receive it and how long till they will start working on it?

Also what did you have serviced? What was the total price once u got it back? And if I let them clean and rebuild would it come back under $100?

I just got a standard service after I dropped one of my reels in the water, but there was no sand. So two reels cost me $60. I'm not sure how long it takes ti get there coz I drove there and dropped it off and saved on the postage.

Not sure how much a clean and rebuild is, but if you call them they should be able to give you a better idea.

The way I see it, a reel as nice as a Stradic Ci4 you want a good quality service. Incidently one of my reels I got them to service was a 2500 Ci4.

Again probably best to call them for turn around time and costs.

good luck mate