Queensland Trip

neilm

Hi Raiders,

just wanted to tell you about a trip of a lifetime to Queensland about 6 weeks ago.

My wife & I, my son and nephew went to Port Douglas for a holiday. I saw this as a golden opportunity to do one of the things I've always dreamed of, a spot of estuary fishing in QLD.

Did heaps of research on the net before I went and found a site called (surprisingly enough) fishingportdouglas.com.au, so went there and sent a couple of emails and got some feedback and booked me, my son & nephew on a full day trip on a boat called Fish 1 Sportfishing.

We we got there and on the second evening (out of decency I had to wait a little before I wet a line), but went to a park near the mouth of the creek in the centre of town on the run up tide, put on a big chunk of squid and cast out. Pulled in a couple of littlies one of which I believe was a spangled emporer. Nothing too exciting so far.

Then had a screamer of a run that took 100m line. Got the fish under control and was getting some line back, then it just turned and ran, this time unstoppable and the line parted. Damn. But the big fish were there... Anyway to cut this short, the tide turned, and no more touches. The next day was the charter and I could hardly sleep.

Nick, the charter operator and top bloke took us around the mangroves to get some live herrings, at first it didn't look too good, but after a while we got some and headed across the bay to a creek mouth. A bit quiet at first, but soon after:

post-929-1131830587_thumb.jpgpost-929-1131830633_thumb.jpg

Trevs!

Then things went a bit quiet, so we moved to another creek:

post-929-1131830698_thumb.jpg

Jacks!

And then what I was hoping for:

post-929-1131830772_thumb.jpgpost-929-1131830826_thumb.jpg

Barra!

My sons went about 3kg, and then I was rewarded with a 5kg beauty. So stoked. We had plenty of other fish as well, but space limits the amount of photos I can post, so you're all saved from more boasting!

If you're ever up that way, I would recommend that you get onto that web site above and see if you can get out for a day with Nick. It's a bit exy, but for the trip of a lifetime it's worth it.

All the best guys,

Cheers, Neil