Quick session on Macmasters Beach

Volitan

This afternoon I did a 2 hour session on Macmasters Beach, Central Coast. Starting two hours after low tide.

Three kahawai (Aus salmon) and one rather large dart. One kahawai was on pilchard, and the other three fish on surf poppers. The kahawai getting around at the moment are a nice size - average 650mm.

I guess that means I caught nothing edible, but for winter I’m not complaining. In winter I’m just thankful not to strike out completely.

On Sunday I took a neighbour blackfish fishing at Hardy’s Bay. Seven blackfish between the two of us - rather slow going really but again all big fish, not like the little ones which were getting around in summer. Three kept for dinner. 

Cheers

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Kahawai?

You must be Kiwi.

Caught them in N.Z. when visiting as a teenager, and they were better eating than the ones over here.

I reckon the name Aussie Salmon is cringeworthy so I’ve been singlehandedly trying to change the name for years. Unfortunately I haven’t convinced anyone else to join me yet.

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, Volitan said:

I reckon the name Aussie Salmon is cringeworthy so I’ve been singlehandedly trying to change the name for years. Unfortunately I haven’t convinced anyone else to join me yet.

Plus one on the name, Aussie Salmon is a shocker.

kiwi names aussies often struggle to pronounce.

how about ‘tasty perch’?

I have heard a lot of people bag the Aus salmon for its eating quality but I want to try it as if treated right I recon it would be fine, well at least on the day its caught + bled & iced when caught.

I would also like to brine it & smoking it as well, cold or hot.

It’s pronounced simply as ‘car -why’ - the second syllable is effectively silent - which I guess isn’t obvious from the spelling. Maybe that’s why I’ve had no success in promulgating the name.

my wife calls them ‘cat-salmon’ because that’s where they end up.  As in “don’t bring home any more cat-salmon, the freezer is full” shouted after me as I head off fishing.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Volitan said:

It’s pronounced simply as ‘car -why’ - the second syllable is effectively silent - which I guess isn’t obvious from the spelling. Maybe that’s why I’ve had no success in promulgating the name.

my wife calls them ‘cat-salmon’ because that’s where they end up.  As in “don’t bring home any more cat-salmon, the freezer is full” shouted after me as I head off fishing.

I'll join you in trying to evangelise Kawai. Give it an extra i at the end and means cuteness in Japanese too!

As for cat salmon - cats really do dig them hey... But so do I, so mine can get in line until I've got a surplus. Mornay with a good strong cheddar in the white sauce is excellent, if they're bled and you remove the dark meat down the middle of the fillet.