Accessories Socket and USB Points Fitted/ Weather Protection?

Berleyguts

I just got my boat back from the local dealer as I had it in to get the nav lights fixed. While there, I asked them to fit a cigarette lighter type socket and USB charge points. See photo attached. My only concern with them is that they located them to the starboard side of my side console, when I thought they would have put the unit towards the centre of the console away from sea spray as much as possible. My bad as I didn’t tell them where to put it. They are waterproof units of course but if I’m charging my phone while underway I guess there’s a risk of water entry from sea spray. Do you reckon I could fit an L shaped piece of Perspex there as a shield? And if so, where could I source the Perspex?

Thanks,

Baz

345C5FDB-AFC7-489E-9DC8-64A0BDF9DC21.jpeg

99370DC0-1236-46B4-AAB0-BCBA47848CAC.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

Sometimes it just pays to write your thoughts down and ask a question. Even if no-one else answers the question, it sometimes jogs the creative side of the brain...

Solution found!  I visited a local aerospace plastics company. I showed him the photos. He struggled to get his head around what I wanted and didn’t have any scraps that looked like they’d do the job. I told him I might just have to bend some aluminium sheet into shape. He said if I get something to work in alloy to bring it in and he can mould something in acrylic. But...

I was wandering through my local Bunnings store (where I happen to work) and found a length of polycarbonate roofing cap. It looked the right dimensions but about 2850mm too long. I found a 3m length that had no protective film and a couple of chips and cracks. They marked it down to $5 for me. A little bit of cutting and sanding and I got it to the shape I wanted. A bit of silicone and “voila”! Spray protection for my phone charger.

Time will tell if the silicon holds. I may have to use a few pop rivets.

6F66A895-9D49-4486-BE94-DBBC40D07783.jpeg

4D5337E3-B40F-4924-AF76-C2769A130BF9.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 5

Silicone should hold it ok, but if it doesn't try 2 way tape. Dont use tape with foam centre but just the thin film with adhesive each side. 

Its amazing what this stuff will hold.  I often try sticking fittings on my boat to see if I'm happy with location before drilling holes in boat to attach.  On occasion the tape worked so well I never attached with screws or rivets.  Ron 

• Like 1

Just now, campr said:

Silicone should hold it ok, but if it doesn't try 2 way tape. Dont use tape with foam centre but just the thin film with adhesive each side. 

Its amazing what this stuff will hold.  I often try sticking fittings on my boat to see if I'm happy with location before drilling holes in boat to attach.  On occasion the tape worked so well I never attached with screws or rivets.  Ron 

Thanks Ron. Yeah , I might try the tape. The section on top started to lift. I’ve weighted it down and will check tomorrow. I still want to use silicone to prevent water seeping in underneath.

You just need a hook to hang the phone while charging and keeping it from sliding around.

my mate bought one for his car, you stick the round link on the back of the phone cover and the hook part on the Perspex. Just need the Perspex secure so it doesn’t fall into the drink.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

You just need a hook to hang the phone while charging and keeping it from sliding around.

my mate bought one for his car, you stick the round link on the back of the phone cover and the hook part on the Perspex. Just need the Perspex secure so it doesn’t fall into the drink.

I currently have a mount that sticks to the back of my phone case. It clips into a rail mount on the console and doesn’t slide around. In this position it’s ready to shoot videos of whales etc. or take a selfie with any fish I’ve caught using the GoCam app. It would be nice to have it in a more sheltered location though. ?