Great deal on big(ish) reels

anthman

Just saw in the email today dinga, our site sponsor, advertising the Pflueger salt ii 70 size Reel for $60 and the rapala r-type reels for $99 (lots of sizes). Take another 5% off for fishraiders and that's a bargain!

These are both sealed (I don't think operable underwater ) , aluminium body reels with big draw power and big capacity. I've been watching the salt ii and the cheapest Ive seen em on sale advertised is $79, vs $57 (with FR 5% discount). The r-type Ive seen around the 139 mark.

Edited by anthman

4 hours ago, browncrab said:

You get what you pay for.

Generally agree with that statement but these reels were rrp'd at much higher price when they came out - does that mean the quality somehow got slashed with the price?

• Haha 1

I don't think we are allowed to comment on specific brands on this forum anymore without reprimand. Friends of mine have bought with their hard earned money those type of reels and have had catastrophic failures whilst they were on a fish of a lifetime. I personally stick with Japanese branded gear, you don't have to spend big bucks because the quality control is on another level compared to chinese reels. That said i don't take care of my gear very well yet have not had any gear failure yet. So to put it in black n white don't waste your money and spend a little extra to get quality backing. Or buy it and prove me wrong up to you. ?

1 hour ago, browncrab said:

I don't think we are allowed to comment on specific brands on this forum anymore without reprimand.

That’s not the case! We are quite happy for you to recommend brands of rods and reels. Just not tackle stores other than site sponsors! 

Dinga has very competitive rates and a further fishraider discount! 

Regards scratchie mod team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have bought both. Will see how I go and get back to you all! From my brief inspection the fit and finish looks pretty good, well greased in the right spots and no obvious QC issues - looks pretty good and certainly better than the China reels Ive got in my collection (perhaps too many...). Time will tell!

Browncrab - as traumatic as stories of catastrophic failure are, I still don't think it's fair to label all reels one and the same. Reel production has come a long way (even in the last 2-3 years, ive noticed huge improvement in the quality of China reels that I've purchased). Plus, too many factors go amiss in the detail of these bad experiences - as you suggested, care of the reel comes into play(maintenance, age, damage), how the reel was used (was a little reel used like a big reel? ), Which brand? Which model? How old was the reel (referring back to my point about level of advancement in the quality of China reels). Don't get me wrong, there are certainly bad quality reels out there, but there are also good ones amongst them - why dismiss a potentially good value reel on the basis of very circumstancial and non-emperical experiences?

(Not ignoring that for some, the extra $$ paid means peace of mind, which is absolutely fine).