Bate Bay again

Yowie

Headed out at the gentleman's hour after 8am to Bate Bay. Still a bit of swell about, but bugger all wind, so very little drift for some time.

The Blue Spot Flatties were not big, many not much over the size, plus plenty of throwbacks and Spikies. Used some spiky fillets as bait. The wind switched direction several times, until around 11am it turned to the East. A bit of drift, no small Flatties biting, so better times. A couple of Maori Wrasse also turned up. Headed back when I had my limit.

Earlier on, there were many small schools of small baitfish, being dive bombed by Terns and a few Gannets. Also several whales getting into the feeding action near my boat. There were 2 pairs of what appeared to be large black dolphins, or something similar, about 4 metres long and cruising into the bait schools. Have not seen these before, about twice as long as the usual dolphins in the bay, but could not get close enough for a good look at them.fish.jpeg_158.thumb.png.599c5b9b290f8427cc75039bc5d30ee8.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Stocking up yowie! You must have missed being home! Maori wrasse??? Any good to eat? How do you cook them? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

I cut the fillets off them, removed the bones and gave them to mum and the tribe with a few flattie fillets. Have eaten them before a few times, a reasonable eating fish though prefer the flatties. Just pan fry them like the flattie fillets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fragmeister said:

A good feed of flatties there Yowie... I bet they went down well.

Whats your preferred cooking method?

Jim

I cook them a few different ways, sometimes pan fried, and also some other methods. Always in fillets.

Sometimes marinated with lime, lime zest, sweet chilli sauce and a few other ingredients. Last night I skinned the fillets and made fish cakes, something different for the missus as she is not a great fish eater of the same cooking methods.