Beach Rig Setup

fishn4fun

Hi guys last month i headed up to stockton beach for some beach fishing, it was mainly a get the feel sort of trip fortunatly im heading up there for the weekend again with the fishing club and i intend on targeting mulloway, i need info on what rig setup up is best, ive heard running rigs through to patternoster, and just need to know what works and what doesnt, i prefer the patternoster due to the fact pickers are less likely to demolish the bait as quick as a running rig, then to bait i am thinking of bringing frozen squid and salted pilchards, any ifo and pics would be greatly appreciated and where to purchase quality baits. :wacko:

Hi Fishn,

Not that i am a gun Beach jew fisherman... but For quality bait, drop into West End sports and Tackle (now Tacklepower) to get some quality jewie baits. They are in the new marina complex at Whickham (on your way to Stockton) and are open at early hours on the WE mornings.

I would also be careful with the new regulations prevailing over Stockton Beach in regards to bait sizes and traces.

Check this Link for more info.

Good luck !

LW

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lbgking

I prefer to forget the paternoster rigs as they tangle in the surf. I used to use a running rig with a star sinker but had too may bust offs due to the sinker fowling on rocks. I now use a running sinker on a 8" dropper attached to a swivel on the main line. In theory the sinker can snap off and still allow you to use your mainline. A similar rig is shown in the catchig big jewfish DVD with #%$%^&(* in it. He can be contated at S Marys fishing tackle for a copy.

For Jews on the beach,

Learn to catch worms

fresh tailor slabs or butterflied second

with worms try a normal running sinker on your mainline , swivel, 30-50 cm trace with one of those clear plastic trout fishing bubble floats (the one with the hole through the centre) then the hook, 3/0 to 5/0 depending on the size of the worms, this will cast ok and will lift the worms up out of the reach of the sand crabs