Better than last weekend

Ryder

Last Sunday I took Big Neil out to chase blackfish and meet a few of the boys. We started around the inner west and it was dead.!!! 5 guys fishing and nobody got a touch. We changed spots and still nothing. The conditions weren't great with the southerly so fishing options were limited, the guys packed it in and Neil and I went to the eastern suburbs for onimage.thumb.jpg.75a566bde23c907140af5a5a1cb0c6de.jpge last go. The theory being with all the rain the fish had headed towards the mouth of the harbour.

There were signs of life from the start and things were looking up. We were getting the downs but no solid hookups. I almost hooked an 80cm king that followed my weed and Neil hooked 1 blackfish but lost it at the net.  It just wasn't going to happen.

Yesterday was totally different, I planned to go east again but after a late night I stayed close to home and fished the afternoon runout tide around Woolwich. The forecast was for northerly winds so I thought I would be protected, funny how the wind seems to follow me, it hooks around in the harbour and starts blowing east. Just had to put up with it.

I found weedon the rocks at Curly on Thursday after work and when I went back on Friday to collect, it was mostly covered with inches of sand. I got what I could, scraped up the sand and grabbed heaps of cabbage to mix in the berley.

The action started from the get go. I hooked up to a decent fish but lost it at the last minute trying to lift it rather than net it. I didn't make that mistake again. More followed including a couple of sleepers, they didn't take the float under but they did take the bait. The berley was mostly cabbage but all the fish were taken on weed, I tried cabbage bait but they wouldn't touch it. Most of the fish were around 30cm but 1 was well over the 40cm mark, a big square mouth. I could have bagged out, but I called it with 9 in the keeper net. I let 6 go including the big one and kept 3 for the smoker.

• Like 5

Great to read that you got some Andrew. That's fishing for you. I had the best time and absolutely love Blackfishing. I certainly hope that we'll be able to have another lash at it when I get up your way again. I fitted the Alvey Blackfish reel to the rod and had a bit of a play with it in the driveway. Conclusion: It's going to take a bit of practice getting used to it, but figure the Carp will be a good species to learn the techniques. Revved up for trying that before the December 1st Cod season. Cheers for now bn