Recommendation for intro Baitcast setup

horsleyboy

Hi all,

I've always been interested in baitcasters.  Whenever i see them in youtube videos or tv shows etc I'd just love to add one to my arsenal and give one a try. I've been fishing for around 15 years, mainly saltwater on light-ish gear, jigging for various types of species in lakes, fishing off a kayak for bass and also most recently, spinning for trout in dams. I'd say im an intermediate fisherman.

The baitcasters seem to provide a more natural casting action, which seems to provide more accuracy and that's pretty enticing.

I guess i'd be using it for bass of the yak, fishing streams and dams for trout and also lakes for the usual suspects. Do they work in a similar way to a spinning setup? I currently have a Trion/Symetre and a Catania/cazna setup that i use for the above locations. Both rigged the same - 6lb braid with 8lb fluero.

So i guess the questions i have are:

- Recommended setup for max budget $200. Is this overkill for a starter baitcaster?
- General research on some options that seem like good value:
           - Abu Garcia Black Max $103
           - Hearing good things about the Kastking Royal Legend Reel $44. I'd just need to find a rod to match
           - Found an Abu Garcia Pro Max on Gumtree, 5 months old used a few times for $90 inc. new pack of Shimano braid
           - Daiwa D-Cast combo $96
- Is it better to put more in to a reel or rod?
- Should i buy each separately as opposed to a combo to give more options?
- Is it worth bothering? I'm pretty content with spinning.

General thoughts, advice and opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

The main advantage of a baitcaster is stopping power being you can thumb the spool and put hurt on the fish running heavier braids on smaller setups

Not bad for bass yaking wouldnt recommend for trout as its harder to fish the lighter drags required for trout fishing

Theyre not good for casting from the banks in tight or overgrown areas I only use mine for cod and heavy bass spinning from the yak or open bank when casting bigger spinnerbaits and hardbodies otherwise the spin gear gets better cast distance and is just as accurate

If you do go for a BC setup spend the extra $$$ on the reel

My thoughts

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

The main advantage of a baitcaster is stopping power being you can thumb the spool and put hurt on the fish running heavier braids on smaller setups

Not bad for bass yaking wouldnt recommend for trout as its harder to fish the lighter drags required for trout fishing

Theyre not good for casting from the banks in tight or overgrown areas I only use mine for cod and heavy bass spinning from the yak or open bank when casting bigger spinnerbaits and hardbodies otherwise the spin gear gets better cast distance and is just as accurate

If you do go for a BC setup spend the extra $$$ on the reel

My thoughts

Dave

Agree 100%, specially about spending the extra $$$ on the reel. A quality reel with quality bearings and brake system will be far easier to learn to cast than something el cheapo.

I also suggest starting out with mono rather than braid as its less prone to bird nests and practice, practice, practice, until you get your casting sorted out before going to a fused braid, such as fireline.

Best to learn casting with little wind or wind behind your back and progress to the into the breeze stuff later.

Really though, if you have a mate with a baitcast outfit, see if you can borrow it for a session or two and see if it works for you before outlaying the cash. A lot of people don't like them.

Hi Nick. Don't know where you live but going by your user name my guess would be in the Horsley park region and if so that's not a million miles from Berala.

Baitcaster outfits take some time to perfect and I would like to offer you a loan of an outfit for a few weeks so you could get to know if you want to spend dollars and get one for yourself. I could also teach you how to use the outfit and show you a few tricks how to become a decent caster with the outfit, I have several baitcaster outfits here and you could learn the basics in a few minutes, the rest is PRACTICE till you become used to it. I am home most times as am a pensioner.

Frank

• Like 5

That makes a lot of sense Green Hornet, thanks. Good point about mono too. I've heard stories about people just not liking them and reinvesting in to better quality spinning gear. I'll probably have a few dramas, but i love learning and love a challenge. I don't think i'd turn around and sell it from a few bad experiences. I'd just keep practicing until i get it right. It would be way more satisfying when i do :)

frankS, that's a very generous offer and thanks so much. Yes i used to be near Horsley Park, now near Liverpool, which is still not far. Just don't know when i'd get out to you to practice. I work full time and have 2 kids under 5, so the only time i get out is my annual trip or when im up at the central coast by the water that the in-laws can watch the kids for a quick fish haha.

I'd also much prefer to purchase my own that i can get used to over time and know the ins-and outs of it. I also like to service my own stuff, so dont want to go pulling your stuff apart. I sincerely appreciate the offer though mate, thank you.

I think so far i'm leaning towards something like the Abu Garcia BlackMax combo. $103 at a shop at the moment and have heard nothing but good things about it.

Or can anyone suggest a decent starter reel for under $100?

Thanks again

Mate I would really suggest you get someone to teach you the basics, weather it be me or someone else with experience as trying to learn by yourself might inbed some bad habits into your use of the gear and bad habits are hard to get rid of. They are a delight to use once mastered and not all that difficult if shown the correct way to start with. I can use them right OR left handed which in certain conditions can be handy, also many different styles of casting from basic overhead to Robin hood method.

Hope you get to learn how to and you will enjoy the new art.

Frank

Hi Nick. If you really believe that a baitcast set up is going to be beneficial, take Frank up on his offer. They have limited uses and I don't see you benefitting from having one, with the types of fishing you describe. As Frank points out, they are somewhat difficult to master. If I were you I would make the effort to spend half an hour with Frank, first. With Christmas coming up, I'm sure you can find a good use for the money if you decide that you can get by with what you have. A basic setup (I reckon) would be at least $250 -$300 without decent braid. Good luck whatever you decide, bn

Fair point guys. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be stubborn, i think it's great to have someone like frankS offer this kind of help, i just don't know when i'd get the chance.

Seems that BC is fairly specific? Maybe best to stick with spinning, as it covers what i enjoy doing and i've got plenty of experience.

Thanks again for the advice to date :)

I considered baitcasters too -  as I wanted to try something different. Then analysed baitcaster pros and cons and my own land-based and kayaking fishing conditions , and came to conclusion that I do not need it - I just want it.  My suggestion would be - if you want to learn something absolutely different from spin reels - try Alveys.  

If I decided to go into baitcasters - I would look into reels from $200 (you can get 5 spin Siennas and a change for that $).  Baitcaster rods can be quit cheap due to low demand on regular sales/clearances - I saw Trions for $20.

Yeah you know what, you sound very much like me savit. I think im kinda forcing myself to try. I'm more than adequately kitted out with my spin gear to fish anywhere that interests me. And i think the best thing for me would be to have a crack with someone like frankS (of whom i'm still very appreciative for the offer).

Out of curiosity, where'd you see the $20 Trions???? I have a Trion spin rod and I absolutely love it! Haven't seen em anywhere for less that $90!!!

Thanks

1 hour ago, horsleyboy said:

Yeah you know what, you sound very much like me savit. I think im kinda forcing myself to try. I'm more than adequately kitted out with my spin gear to fish anywhere that interests me. And i think the best thing for me would be to have a crack with someone like frankS (of whom i'm still very appreciative for the offer).

Out of curiosity, where'd you see the $20 Trions???? I have a Trion spin rod and I absolutely love it! Haven't seen em anywhere for less that $90!!!

Thanks

Not now, earlier this year.  There was a clearance of Trions everywhere . $20 baitcaster Trions were at Big Orange Snake stores. I got my spin Trion for $50 from there.  I think most of other stores were clearing Trion stock for $75. 

Use Frank's offer to get rid of that itch :) and then decide what to do next. 

• Like 1

We can not mention the names of businesses  in public posts  which are not sponsors of the forum.

The business that I meant is a large  chain store that has an orange color logo with a big snake in its name.  I will also PM you the name.