Weather Forcasts

Outnumbered

After looking at the "Sydney Closed Waters,Pittwater, Port Jackson and Botany Bay" forcast last night and seeing 15-25kts forcast for today i decided to give it a miss and have a sleep in today.

when i woke up (9:30) and had a look at the forcast again it showed Wind:N/NW 10/15 knots, increasing to 18/23 knots during afternoon ahead of a S'ly change 18/23 knots in the evening

ok so i could have got out for a reasonably comfortable early fish but with 18/23kts it could be a short session.

then i go have a look at weather zones reporting for sydney airport and see that since 6am the wind hasnt got over 9 kts with it averaging a sweet 6kts (as at 10:30am).

screwed again by relying on the BOM's forcasting.

so how do you decide to go out or not? do you organise your deckies and take pot luck that when you get to the ramp the forcasts are wrong, or like me do you rely on the forcasts the day before (afternoon update) to confirm the trip with your mates then.

I also rely on the forecast from the arvo before a trip. If its like the forecast yesterday i prbably would have given it a miss aswell, but of its only looking a little suss, i check the report again in the early morning of the trip(4.30- 5.00 for a 5.30 start) hoping the weather has got better over night.

I rely on the forecast a lot ,especially the longer range ones .But I also study the charts religeously ,especially the synoptic chart and it can give you an insight as to what sort of winds /weather you can expect.The BOM have very sophisticated equipment and computers to help them ,but at the end of the day its still up to the weather gods if they change thier minds :05: So if you are really desperate and you need to fish and the weather looks a bit dicey :1badmood: Get A FEW SPOTS IN YOUR GLORY BOX that can be fished even if the weather does go bad when they say it does .

Cheers STEWY

i'm sure they use a dart board, even the gusts at the airport havent hit double figures.(except between 8:10 & 8:40 when it gusted up to 13kts)

I find http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw.asp to be pretty accurate most of the time :tease:

yeah i've started compareing it to the bom's forcast then looking at how it's turned out.

over the last few weeks "seabreeze" has seemed a little more acurate.

I use the Sydney Boating forecast a fair amount when deciding what to do. AsI have a smallish boat, the readings tend to mean to me:

20kt wind plus or 1.5m plus seas - I sleep in, or fish inside brisbane waters.

10 - 20kt winds and small seas, will fish broken bay,

less than 10kt and small seas, will try and head outside,

more than 20kt winds I go and tie things down in the yard.

So really, not so much about if to fish, but whre to fish.

Adrian

When I'm going to fish botany bay I ring boating infomation on 131236 I pretty much ignore the weather report and mainly take notice of the wind strength around sydney air port if blowing 10 knots or less the bay should be OK to fish if blowing stronger than that it could be iffy, if blowing blowing 15 knots plus especially from the south I give it a miss.

Brian, i also cancelled Saturday morning due to the BOM weather report and that is the second time i have been caught in a month. If we ran our business with such poor forecasting, the bank would have closed us years ago.

:dito: these people dont know what there doing im susre of it