Manly lagoon

rabb1t

Does anyone fish Manly lagoon still? I know it's polluted, but I tend not to keep anything anyway so that's not an issue.

I saw a bloke fishing it today when I drove past. Had me wondering if many people fish it still - if so, what are they targeting mainly in there?

G'day mate I haven't fished there for over a year now, but have fished the lagoon every Christmas for many years as a mate comes to Sydney and stays in the same house each year, which backs onto the park running between the 2 bridges. His family catches up for a Christmas fishing day there every year and lots of interesting things get caught.

There are some really amazing fish caught in the lagoon every year and from memory the local tackle shop has a photo album of  many of the unusual species that reside in the lagoon,

Sadly, it's one of Sydney's most polluted locations sediment wise and there have been several fish kills there over the years, as the lagoon's feeder creek runs from Manly Dam via the Golf course and super-phosphates and 'heavy metal' concentrations are present in the mud/sand bottom. The water reaches the ocean via a small viaduct that comes out near Queenscliff rock baths.

Fishing wise, there are all sorts of fish in there, including many 'northern' species like Mangrove Jack and various Trevally species. It isn't uncommon to see fish 'bust-up' on baitfish in the late afternoon. From observation they are usually Trevally (Big Eye) and they boil up for a minute or two then reappear 30-40 metres away, so you have to be quick getting a lure into them.

The only time the fish seem to be really active is on the larger run-in tides above 1.5 meters, when there is a bit of flow. The best tides are the really big tides around Christmas 1.7+ are ideal and best fished in the night. 

Best bait is definitely live prawns which can be scooped on the run-out tide on the darker phases of the moon, try on the sand near the drop-off down closer to the ocean bridge for best results on the prawns. These are a clearer coloured prawn than the 'brown-ish' Sydney harbour variety (which we've also done well with), from what I've seen when prawning around Sydney, all the different lagoons have prawns and they are all slightly different in colour, depending on which spot you get them. There are also a few 'rock-prawns'- some with arms and tiny claws that are excellent for bait for larger fish. 

Best method is to use light line (2-4 kg) size 2 'baitholder' style hook and only a small split shot (don't squeeze it on hard as it needs to be able to move when you half-hitch your prawn on- then slide down to tail) The prawn can move around reasonably freely and the fish will easily find it. When you get a couple of sharp taps, just let the fish swim off a few meters before striking. Some of the largest Whiting give only the slightest bites when using live prawns.

Our most successful trips there have been after prawning the run-out tide at night and using the live prawns on the run-in until the wee hours.

I've caught Bream, Flathead, Tailor, GT's, Big Eye Trevally, Mullet, Luderick, Estuary Perch, Long Tom's, Mangrove Jack and some of the biggest Whiting you'll see- all in the lagoon, mostly from Hinkler Park and the canal that goes under Pittwater Rd. Others have caught Oxeye Herring, Mulloway and some large mud crabs.

Mangrove Jacks are fished for around the Pittwater Rd bridge and behind the skateboard park. I've seen fly fishers get them there also.

There is also another spot up the very back of the lagoon called 'The Dog Hole' which is like a small inlet. Mangrove Jack, Trevally and some big Flathead are caught there on live bait.

One of the other Raiders told me there are a couple of no fishing signs in different spots, but the only one I've seen was in regard to pollution, but probably a good idea to check with fisheries.

Good luck if you go there- it's a unique spot, such a shame about the pollution, you wouldn't know it was as bad just from looking at it. Just catch and release fishing to be safe!   Cheers Waza

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Would just like to thank everyone here especially waza as I have previously traveled ages for less fun fishing than on my doorstep. Manly lagoon is one of my new favourite spots, so much to explore and still some bigger ones hopefully!

This was 28cm EP i got the other day on a 3' gulp after spotting him busting up, just off the bridge. Ive since got a few flathead and some bream. 

IMG_20190530_185924.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 1:36 PM, Nick_towny said:

Would just like to thank everyone here especially waza as I have previously traveled ages for less fun fishing than on my doorstep. Manly lagoon is one of my new favourite spots, so much to explore and still some bigger ones hopefully!

This was 28cm EP i got the other day on a 3' gulp after spotting him busting up, just off the bridge. Ive since got a few flathead and some bream. 

IMG_20190530_185924.jpg

Excellent Nick- the 'goon' fishes so much better in summer, when the prawns are active, which are of course the best bait to use. 

The first couple of times I fished there (many years ago) I walked all around the 'main' section between the bridges and although heaps of fish were sighted, we didn't get many strikes (or fish!)

We worked out that the lagoon fish are definitely far more active on the large run-in tides, particularly around Christmas and started using live prawns instead of our usual small hardbody lures. Night fishing the big tides with light line and prawn baits (alive or fresh) rarely failed to produce a variety of species. 

Using only 1 small split-shot squeezed only lightly onto the line (so it could 'slide' easily) is the way to go when fishing both the Hinkler Park and 'blocked-off' sections. If you clear yourself a 'pathway' through the spiderweb in amongst the Casuarina trees on the middle/right hand side (when facing towards the surf bridge) you will be standing on a sandy area (stays submerged even at low tide)- there are absolute 'elbow-slapper' Whiting there in summer, which are the only fish I ever ate from the lagoon

Just in front of the seat/table and in to the mouth of the blocked-up bit you are likely to catch just about all the different 'goon' species including EP's and Jacks (caught 2 there on live prawns) and have seen large fish plough into the schools of big Mullet that school up behind the reed banks on the southern side. You can't really access most of the southern side due to these reeds, but there are Mullet, Luderick etc all along here- would be great in a kayak.

In the late afternoons in summer, you often see fish busting-up on the surface, quite close to the shore. They are usually only around for a minute or two (visibly) before moving off and are mainly Trevally not Tailor, which is not a common occurrence in Sydney estuaries, but provide a bit of excitement - just be aware that they will head straight for any tree branches or snags as soon as you hook them-(Tailor won't)

The back western corner of the lagoon has a spot known locally as "The Dog-Hole" which is like a tiny "harbour" up next to the golf course- using small live fish baits like Poddy Mullet and Herring (you need to take them as not available on-site) Bigger Flathead, Trevally (mostly Big-eye) and the odd Mangrove Jack lurk- access is via Addiscombe Rd, climb around the fence

Back in the main lagoon, the car-park adjacent to the canal that goes under the Pittwater Rd bridge is also a good (and super comfortable!) spot that you can almost fish from your car. Bream, Whiting and Flatties are the main catch here, with a variation of rig needed. A small ball sinker above a swivel and 45-60 cm of 3-4 kg leader down to the hook is better along here as you need to throw out a bit further and there is also just a little bit of current flow. As you are up a little higher above water, lure fishing is slightly more difficult here and there are often a couple of snags from Casuarina branches etc in the canal.

Hope this helps you get a few more. Feel free to ask any questions. 

Cheers Waza

• Like 2