Possible Aust or WR - has been weighed in at 1431 lb or 649.87kgs

mrsswordfisherman

I found it to be very interesting  i agree with his thoughts 99 %   the crap feedback on social media about anyone catchin n keepin a fish of any size  mainly comes from non fishos  i personally disregard this crap as i believe in freedom of choice to keep or release fish....as a fisho u are a ' hunter gatherer '  the poo pooers are coles shoppers  let them have their way and they wont have fish to eat either   anyway  im goin to my fishing club presentation tonite and will accept my trophies for fish i killed this year with my head held high    sorry for rant  mrs swordie......rick/fish killer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, savit said:

An article in Fishing World in regards to the recently  caught marlin and marlin fishing:

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/marlin-madness

Interesting, though IMHO quite  one-sided view for an author with PhD.

Why is it onesided, it does an excellent job of shooting down some of the nonsense that Animal Rights activists etc have against fishing of any sort, the fish will provide scientists with a vast amount on knowledge etc that will lead to better preservation of the species and all marlin, if it had been killed on a longliner (and thats the main sort of fishing that kills marlin) not a peep would of been heard from the greenies and the left wing media.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, Scratchie said:

Generally not. I know with the inter club Comp up here they donate the carcus to fisheries for research. Not only that, a blue marlin does not release well and normally fights to the death. 

When I last fished the Inter Club we bought in a 204kg Blue on a boat called Hattitude. Won us biggest fish of the day. At that time all of the weighed fish that the boats did not want were donated to local old people's homes and other places where they would consume the fish. Mind you that last time I fished the Inter Club was 18 years ago 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, PaddyT said:

Why is it onesided, it does an excellent job of shooting down some of the nonsense that Animal Rights activists etc have against fishing of any sort, the fish will provide scientists with a vast amount on knowledge etc that will lead to better preservation of the species and all marlin, if it had been killed on a longliner (and thats the main sort of fishing that kills marlin) not a peep would of been heard from the greenies and the left wing media.

Hi PaddyT.  Apologies for late reply.

I call it onesided because instead of including any analysis if there are any issues with local marlin population/catch rate/trends  and how they can be resolved  - the article concentrates on philosophies and feeling differences between recreational  fishermen and greens/animal rights activists. There were and will be always differences - it does not help.

Seriously? When everything the antis put out is simply based on perception and not fact? Bluewater Mag published some Indo Pacific billfish catch rate data a few years back- commercial fisheries kill huge tonnages of marlin every year(nothing is C&R'd) but one amateur fisho catches a big marlin and everyone from the RSPCA (now theres a mob whos agenda has been stolen by the far left) to other holier than thou "catch and release only" fishos is up in arms about it. Gamefisherman drove the first moves towards conserving marlin stocks and are still the main driver (the general public has no skin in the game). Fact is this , when the animal "rights" have taken away hunting,marlin fishing , catch and release (like has happened overseas) do you honestly think that they will stop there?Articles like Bens ARE full of facts, there is no bias it exposes the nonsense that is animal "rights" for what it is, every animal dies , its just how, preserving a biomass or stock of a species is much more important than the fate of an individual animal-and thats the point that Ben is making.

• Like 2