Hacking Kings

yting

Ok so this is this half a report and half an enquiry.

for a while I’ve been trying to catch my first King in my Kayak.

they are plentiful in both Botany Bay and the Hacking at the moment so finding them isn’t a problem but it is landing them that is the real challenge.

i’m using Soft plastics and running 6lb braid with 8lb Fluor carbon leader, 1000 seriers Shimano reel.

the trouble I’m having is getting past the Tailor who continue to bite me off a lot of the time.

this morning was another example, tailor pinging me before I can get the lure down to the Kings which I see down deeper following the Tailor when they get hooked.

i got close this morning, getting a king to the side of the yak before the leader gave way, probably due to it being frayed by the Tailor again.

do you think I need to upgrade tackle. These tailor are becoming a pain in the backside.

does anyone run with a wire trace these days?

Nath

If you happen to hook a big King it will either break you equipment o spool you however I have landed throw back sizes on similar gear as mentioned before there is no need for finesse with tailor and upping the leader size is a good idea and will still give you a chance at the kingie IMHO

• Like 1

Yes he should defiantly up the leader size if he is getting bitten off by tailor, the biggest my friend got on 6lb braid was a 87cm king on his boat, and I have caught a nice 74cm king off land with similar gear, but unless your on a beach with no pylons around your odds are slim of landing them 

Hi, I was out on Friday morning chasing Kings in Port Hacking. Caught a dozen fish, 50-60cm, saw but did not hook bigger fish, no bust offs. Rod that caught most of the fish was a 3-5kg 7 ft rod, 2500 stradic, 8lb braid and 30lb trace casting a white 6inch stickbait soft plastic. Letting it sink to the bottom then a fast straight retrieve worked best.

Up your trace to 20-30lb fluro and stay away from the moorings and you should be fine on your tackle.

Enjoy the fight, rat kings are great fun on lighter line.

Ash